84 - The Goddess

16th day of the forth Month, Worth's Moon

4:00 pm

The Forgotten Temple

Theth landed beside Zedkiel, almost slipping on the ice and quickly sitting down. In his arms, he held the Elvin maiden who meant so much to Zedkiel and yet Zedkiel just sat there, shoulders slumped, his very presence weak and cold and lonely.

"Zedkiel," Theth said, his voice trembling, "Zedkiel... the girl..."

Zedkiel slowly looked around, his eyes travelling to Falsina. He was still for a moment, then reached forwards and pulled her into his arms, curling around her, burying his face in against her hair and Theth stared as tears started to stream down Zedkiel's face.

"Zedkiel," Theth said quickly.

"He is gone, Theth," Zedkiel cried, hugging Falsina closer, "Kalen is g... gone... I could not... I cannot reach him."

Theth stared at Zedkiel for a moment, his hands falling to his side. He looked away, wrapping his arms around himself, one hand tugging on a lock of hair.

"Incendio... they said he's... gone to," he muttered.

Zedkiel stared at him and Theth didn't look up. His hands started trembling and he pressed his palms to his face.

"I'm sorry," he gasped, "we were so close... I'm so sorry."

"Theth," Zedkiel said, reaching for him, "It is not your fault.

"He's gone," Theth cried, curling away from the touch, "He's gone. Why?! What do we do now? They're gone! They need to come back!

"Theth."

"We need them back!"

"Theth, please," Zedkiel cried.

"Oh, my poor Knights."

A soft female voice behind them made the pair whirl around, Zedkiel's arms tightening around Falsina, Theth's wings shooting out to shield them.

At first they saw nothing but then, as they looked around the hall, something caught Theth's eye.

He stared for a moment, then quickly tugged Zedkiel's sleeve and pointed upwards.

There were stars above. Shifting and shimmering, moving like water through the shadows, falling down towards them and, as they did, they started to take shape.

Theth's mouth dropped the second he saw the form begin to take form and he shoved himself forwards onto his knees, bowing his head.

"Theth?" Zedkiel said, looking at him.

"Bow your head," Theth hissed, "Quickly, that is a goddess."

Zedkiel's mouth dropped, before his eyes flew to the creature that appeared before them. She was huge, towering high, high above, her body that of a streamer, like Zedkiel's Farathra, but it was shaped from stars, her eyes like diamonds, mane rippling in the breeze.

Zedkiel pushed forwards and bowed his head low, keeping Falsina close.

"Lifts your heads, my little Knights," the goddess said gently, "You need not bow to me today. How fair you?"

Theth looked up, his eyes warily looking towards her eyes. "We've been better," he said and the goddess laughed.

"I am sure," she said, "I am sorry for what you have suffered, not just today but throughout your lives. Our need to keep you four alive has led to some... painful situations. But you are almost home and you have done well."