86 - The Former Knights

16th day of the forth Month, Worth's Moon

6:00 pm

Black Fire

"We weren't expecting you to arrive so soon after The Child but we're glad you did. It's a great relief to know where you are and how you fair."

"Well, I'm walking around with a hole in my chest, so I've fared better," Kalen muttered.

Zedkiel shot him a look so Kalen shut up and followed along behind him, as he followed the man who had joined them at the gates to the palace, Ricksteed – a valet of some sort.

The towering gates led through into the walled main courtyard, which was gigantic and the shift between the palace grounds and the city beyond was instant. The palace was still cared for, beautifully cared for. The ground gleamed in the evening sunlight. The walls were smooth, without cracks or chips. The doors were polished. The windows all in one piece. It was the same inside.

The grand entrance hall towered around them, a cavernous hall with dozens of arching doorways branching off, a sweeping stairway sat in the distance and all around them were towering statues of dragons, bearing down on them.

It was all in contrast with the city beyond.

A city that was neglected and dying behind the castle walls.

"My Lord?"

Theth nudged Kalen in the side and pointed past him when Kalen looked around. He was pointing to a young man trying to get Kalen's attention.

"Eh?" Kalen said, looking at him.

The man smiled. "Sorry to bother you, My Lord."

Kalen looked blankly at him. "My lord?" he copied, then glanced at Theth.

Theth shrugged. "You're a member of a Realmlore you'll get used to the title soon enough, just remember to respond to it."

Kalen looked back at the man and he pointed at Kalen's chest.

"We would like to examine your wounds and heal them as soon as possible. If you would come with us?"

Kalen quickly held up his hands and backed away. "It's alright," he said, "They'll heal on their own."

The man looked at him in surprise and Kalen hurried to catch up to Zedkiel. Zedkiel glanced at him.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah fine," Kalen muttered.

Ricksteed looked back at Kalen quickly.

"Were you bothered by that man?" he asked, "he's a young doctor from our staff. If he bothers you in anyway, we can remove him from the palace staff in an instant."

Kalen stared at him. "Huh?" he said, shocked.

"No, that will not be needed," Zedkiel said, stepping in, holding up a hand as he gestured for the valet to keep leading the way. "All we require is a place to recover and freshen up for a moment and know where our dragons are."

"Of course, Sire," Ricksteed said, picking up the pace again. "You're companions can be found in one of the inner courtyards, I shall lead you there now. The private rooms there are ready for you to take a moment to yourselves. The Former Knights shall be joining you when you are ready along with the prince."

"The prince?" Incendio copied.

Ricksteed nodded and failed to elaborate.

"Are they alright?" Zedkiel asked instead, "The dragons?"