67 - Dragons in the Plaza

10th day of the forth Month, Worth's Moon

7:10 pm

Fountain City

Kalen instantly recoiled at the words and Coroline laughed as soon as she saw the shock and panic in his eyes.

"Oh relax, you silly child, exactly how much youth do you think I need? You're a vampire, you have a lifetime of youth, the little I need won't affect you. I have no interest in ruining that lovely face of yours and Luther would be furious. I just need a small amount to make up for my foolishness." Coroline smiled slightly. "A fairy should never give her heart away to a man who is not strong enough to accept it."

"I thought fairies didn't give their hearts away," Zedkiel said, stepping forwards.

Coroline smiled. "Aren't I silly then?" she said, "And look at the result of my foolishness."

She then pushed the bottles forwards.

"Now, do we have a sale?"

"What if they don't work?" Incendio asked.

"They'll work, I promise that."

"But if they don't," Incendio pushed and Coroline smiled.

"Oh, you'll see me again, I promise that. Here, Kalen, Theth, you're hands please."

Both boys held out their hands and Coroline turned them palm up and placed her hands over them. She closed her eyes and a soft red glow filtered from her palms and when she drew back, a curling mark was set into their palms, visible for a mere second before it faded.

"A promise mark?" Theth asked.

"I promise these potions shall work, they shall show you the truth, they will show you the years that you are missing and I promise that, should something go awry, the payment shall be returned in full."

"You would bind yourself like that?" Zedkiel asked, shocked.

"Certainly," Coroline said, her tone nonchalant, "The promise won't be broken so I have nothing to be concerned about. Now, I assume you'll be paying the asking price?"

"Fine," Kalen said and Theth held out a hand.

"Wait," he said, "one of those bottles is for me, I should pay my half."

"Are you sure?" Kalen asked in surprise.

"Let him pay," Coroline said before Theth could even think of reconsidering, "Ethereal youth, I'll take it. It's only fair to share after all."

Kalen raised an eyebrow at her and she grinned. "Fine," he said and held out his hand again.

Theth copied and Coroline hovered her hands over them again. Slowly, she lifted her hands up to shoulder height and two small droplets of silver – like moonlight on water – rose out of their palms and froze in the air.

She then picked them out of the air and pulled out a small velvet purse, slipping them inside, closing the drawstring and putting it away, before pushing the bottles towards them.

"These will show you the memories you wish for most, the ones that can explain the most. I would suggest lying down when you drink them; they come with quite a kick. Would you like a bag?"

"No, we'll be fine," Kalen said, picking them up, handing one to Theth.

"They taste disgusting, by the way," Coroline added, "pinch your nose when you take drink."