It Was His Idea

10
It Was His Idea

Later that night, when I'm standing in the bathroom blowdrying my hair after my shower, my mom pokes her head in and stares at me.

"Annie doll, can we talk?"

Immediately, I'm going over any and everything that I've done in the last twenty-four hours that would presumably get me into trouble, and I mentally wonder if she found those Pop-Tart wrappers that I'd stuffed in the couch from earlier this week.

Shit, I knew I should've moved those.

Taking a deep breath, I turn the blow dryer off and set it aside, "Eh, yeah. What's up?"

Her brown hair is in a damp knot on top of her head and she's wearing grey legging and a peach-colored camisole that does her tanned skinned wonders.

She pushes the door open and walks in, picking up the hairbrush and motioning me to take a seat on the closed toilet lid. I don't mention my thing about Luke's germs, too scared to say anything that'll make my punishment worse and wordlessly, I take a seat.

"So, everything is set for the wedding." She starts, parting my hair and gently running the brush through my loose waves. "We're good to go."

"Yeah," I sigh. "Everything's going by so fast."

"Right," she breathes softly above me, "I feel like the happiest woman in the world, Annie. Andy is amazing, you and Luke are getting along, and well -- you'll be starting school again and we wanted to do something for you."

I raise an eyebrow at her, surprised that she's actually smiling and not grilling me about something. "Wait, I'm not in trouble?"

She stops brushing, "What would you be in trouble for?"

I blush, "Oh, um nothing." Tilting my head back to look at her, I ask, "You said you're gonna do something for me?"

She nods, "Andy suggested it and you know -- I wasn't too keen on the idea but I noticed how well you were behaving,"

I roll my eyes.

"-and I figured you deserved something, you know?"

"Oh, that's ... nice. What is it?"

She chuckles and then brushes my hair behind my ears, leaning down and placing a kiss on my temple, "We're gonna get you a car."

I laugh, sarcastically, and nudge her with my elbow, "Come on mom, what did you really get me? A laptop case or what, a phone? Everyone here has one, turns out I could really use one of those."

"I'll bear that in mind," she says, "But we're seriously gonna get you a car. Nothing too fancy, like Luke's," she pauses, laughing and muttering how lucky he is to be only seventeen with a ride like that and then continues on, "Second hand probably, maybe even a two-door?"

She proceeds with her talking, about what I don't know, because I'm too busy trying to wrap my head around the fact that I'm getting a car!

A car!

Gaping, I stutter, "Wait how are you gonna afford this, with the wedding so close?"

"Everything is budgeted for, we have some extra funds. Plus, since you're gonna be getting a job this senior year, we won't have to pay for your car payments for long."

I grin, wide and big, then realization dawns on me and my smile drop, "Mom, I'm only sixteen. I can't get my license for another two months."

"I know," she says. "You have to learn how to drive first, Annie doll. By that time you'll be seventeen, and old enough."

My smile returns and I jump up and hug her, squeezing her tight against me, "This is the greatest thing ever!"

She smiles against my cheek and says in a huff, "Wow, this is the first hug I've gotten in almost a year from you, Annie."

I'm too happy to dwell on that and I plant a kiss on her cheek, trying to resist the urge to jump up and down, "So this is the real deal? A car?"

She nods.

I squeal and clap my hands, stepping forward and hugging her again. Through the commotion, Andrew pops his head in and smiles at me, "Guess you heard the good news?"

I nod, "Good news? This is great, this is perfect!" I run to him and lock my hands around his waist, smashing my cheek against his chest. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

He's holding a cup of water and some of it splashes and drops down on my hair, probably frizzing it up again, but I'm too happy to care.

"You're most welcome, Anastasia." He awkwardly chuckles.

I step back, a bit embarrassed, but too happy to care, "Wow. A car?" I jump up and down and smile, "A car!"

Then he quirks an eyebrow, and says, "So, you're fine with the one condition?"

I stop jumping, and stare at him, "Wait, what?" He blinks, blue eyes turning to my mom. Andrew tugs on his shirt collar and looks at my mom, "Claire you didn't tell her?"

I follow his gaze, "Mom?"

She places a hand on her hip and scratches her head, "Alright, um. You know you'll have to learn to drive right?"

I nod, what's so bad about that? There's driving school and books and all that. That's easy.

"Well, we figured Luke could teach you?" She nods.

I stare at her. That was the condition? "Oh," that's not that bad, I don't mind. I could put up with the asshole, as long as I'm behind the wheel. I laugh at the thought and shrug, "Okay?"

"And um, you won't be able to drive after eight and on the weekends, and whenever you are driving Luke has to be with you."

In other words, you're better off walking.

"What?" I mutter, my smile fading. "You said there was one condition, that's like twenty!"

She sets the brush on the sink and sighs. "Annie, I want you to be safe, alright? Luke is experienced and older, he knows a lot more about driving."

I stare at her, stating dryly, "He's one year older than me, Mom."

Her brown eyes look down at her wooden bracelets, "I thought you wouldn't mind. Having a car is a big deal, Anastasia. You should be more grateful."

She looks genuinely sad, and I huff. Alright, fine. "You're right, thanks. I'm cool with this, does Luke know?"

They both nod, and Andrew clasps his hands on top of my mom's shoulders, "It was his idea."

I scoff. It was Luke's idea to help me learn how to drive? After what I did last time I was in his car? I shake my head and laugh quietly.

"Thanks, guys, I'm really happy." Then I hug them again, for the sake of my mom's feelings, and head across the hall to my room, "Goodnight."

--