"kid in love"

18| "kid in love"

Sometime in the middle of the night, I awake cold and disoriented. Screwing my fist in my eye, I glance at the clock. Eleven thirty - it's pretty late. I contemplate on going back to sleep, but then my stomach grumbles and I know there's no way I'm gonna be able to rest without food.

Crawling out of bed, I slip into a pale blue cable knit sweater, and cross my arms over my chest before heading downstairs.

All the lights are off in the house and I stumble into the kitchen, smacking my hand against the switch, and yanking open the refrigerator.

There's leftovers from dinner yesterday, but I'm not in the mood for anything heavy so I grab the peanut and jelly and set off to making a sandwich. After I've eaten and put everything back, I start upstairs, but the flicker of light coming from the backyard distracts me.

"Mom?" I call out, peeking from around the staircase and out the balcony glass doors. I can still see the light, and I take a step closer. It's glowing bright and orange and I automatically realize that it's coming from the fire pit. "Andrew?"

No one answers and I roll my eyes. Of course those two idiots forgot to put the fire out. Gently sliding the glass back, I go to step out onto the deck, but when the sound of a mellow guitar melody starts to play, I freeze.

It's Luke.

I take a step back, shielding myself from his view and I watch as he falls gracefully down onto the couch in front of the pit, before sliding his guitar onto his lap and continuing.

"I know that we just met
Maybe this is dumb
But it feels like there was something
From the moment that we touched," he stops and looks down at something in his notebook for a quick second before continuing on.

His voice is the same smooth, calm, velvety perfection that I remember and love, and transfixed I take a step closer and watch as he readjusts his long fingers on the strings before he starts up again.

"'Cause, it's alright, it's alright

I wanna make you mine." Luke sighs, closing his eyes and scrunching his face up in a way that makes him look extremely cute. He sings,

"Maybe I'm just a kid in love

Maybe I'm just a kid in love
Oh, baby
If this is what it's like falling in love
Then I don't ever wanna grow up."

A small smile crosses my face and I can't help but marvel at the lyrics. And as mad as it makes me, I also can't help but secretly hope that it's not yet another song for his secret girlfriend. Otherwise known as his booty call.