Mistake

21
Mistake

I cannot believe it.

He's kissing me. Kissing me!

His lips are soft and cool, and his mouth moves carefully but rushed against mine. I open my mouth to sigh, but then Luke presses his tongue against mine, and it turns into a low moan. Goosebumps decorate my arms, and tingly sensations spread from within; numbing my fingers. I swear that I might be seconds away from passing out.

If this was what kissing felt like, then I'm an asshole for waiting until I was almost seventeen to do so. I'd never cared much about getting a perfect first kiss, and so to experience this the first time 'round, is just like ... damn.

This definitely makes up for lost time.

Large hand slide down my hips, setting my skin afire as they go, and Luke firmly grips my sides; impossibly pulling me closer against him.

"Annie," he whispers against my lips ⎯ his voice is deep and raspy, accent more noticeable than ever before and I seriously can't help myself, I moan. Again.

I sift my fingers in the soft, curling hair at the nape of his neck, tugging him down to me, and press my lips against his, again. I could do this forever.

Hands slide around my waist and down until they're resting on top of my backside and I pull my head back, with a surprised giggle, "Hey!"

A wide grin spreads across his face, "Couldn't help myself."

"I bet."

"Shh." Then he angles his head slightly to the side, blond hair falling softly around his forehead, and gently cups the sides of my face. Our breaths mingle, my heart flutters inside my chest, and then we're kissing again; a delicate butterfly of a kiss.

"I can't breathe," he deeply sighs after a while, pulling himself away from me. I laugh, looking up and straight at him. His blonde hair is ruffled and his lips are slightly swollen. With a gasp, I reach up and carefully run my fingers over my own.

A pleased, genuine smile spreads across his face and his eyes flutter down at me, revealing that baby-blue gaze that I like so much. "Anastasia, if I knew you were that good of a kisser," he murmurs, "I'd have kissed you a long time ago."

Letting out a breathy chuckle, I sink back against his dresser. After a moment or two of complete silence, I hesitantly look back up at him to see him staring straight at me, and the swirls of emotion that I saw bathed in the intensity of his gaze, makes me gasp. It's as if he's seeing me for the first time, his eyes alight and pleasantly calm.

And then I realize what I did.

I kissed him.

I kissed my stepbrother. And, ... I liked it!

Shamefully peeling my eyes away from him, I try to swallow down the feeling of guilt and complete embarrassment that creeps up my throat.

Way to fucking go, Annie!

Automatically, I'm coming up with any and every excuse that could justify my actions. I mean, it's not liked I kissed him first. He kissed me.

Well -- that's because you told him to, Annie!

Great. Now, he probably thinks I'm some kind of slut. Nonetheless, he was the one who said he wanted to kiss me. The thought of his hands under my shirt and his hips pinning me back against his dresser makes my mind fuzzy.

He likes me.

"Hey, you okay?" Luke asks. His hand tilts my face up towards him, kissing me once again on the mouth. Then, again.

"Yes," I whisper, trying to keep calm. "I'm just a little ... thirsty." Forcing a small smile, I step away from him and head towards his door, "Gonna go get water."

He nods, not saying anything, and I'm glad because truthfully I still can't believe that just happened. Instead, he walks over to me, slides his hand in mine and interlocks our fingers. Together we head downstairs, the pad of his thumb comfortingly running back and forth over my skin and making me lightheaded with excitement.

I kissed Luke. My stepbrother. How did this happen? One minute, I was upset and annoyed that he wouldn't quit badgering me, and the next, I'm willing to do anything to have him against me again? What the fuck did you do to me, Luke?

He turns on the kitchen light and to my utmost disappointment, he lets go of my hand. But only so that he can help me up onto the bar stool.

"I'll get it," he whispers glancing at me.

Aw--

Now is not the time, Annie!

You just made out with him, your soon-to-be stepbrother, and if either one of your parents ever found, it could ruin their engagement. Not to mention the fact that you'd literally be dead.

Shit.

I nod, rudely not looking at him. I'm too embarrassed. Luke lingers for a few, confused, and then hesitantly takes a step back before going over to the refrigerator. I listen to him move around the kitchen, setting out to pour me a glass of water and when his back is turned to me, I glance up and trail my eyes down his body.

His amazingly broad shoulders, the muscles in his back becoming more and more prominent through his thin shirt with every move, and his toned arms. How can he possibly be this good looking?

And your stepbrother.

When he's all done, he turns to me and hands me the glass. Our fingers don't touch when I take it from him. Luke watches me as I drain the entire cup and I rest it in my lap, my fingers tracing the rim as we sit in complete silence.

"Do you want more?" He asks.

"I'm fine, thank you." Hanging my head, I try to come up with something to say because it's obvious that we both know that we did was wrong.

Luke beats me to it, quietly mumbling, "I'm sorry."

He's serious. I nod, unsure of what to say. In front of me, Luke pushes a nervous hand through his hair and takes a step towards me. His large frame hovers over me, and I have to tilt my head back to look at him.

"Are you gonna say anything?" He says, so quiet it's barely a whisper.

I nod again, trying to rack my mind. I know I have to say something, but I mean, what the hell do I say? He's sorry that he kissed me, he obviously doesn't like me, and everything's all fucked up now.

"I don't know what to say," I manage after a long while, carefully taking my clips from my hair to hide my embarrassed flushed cheeks behind.

"Just tell me," he whispers, slow and steady. "Was it ... was it a mistake?"

Squeezing my eyes shut, I nod, slowly at first and then quickly, "Yes."

Luke backs up and his eyes frost. "Well, I apologize. I shouldn't have kissed you."

Turning his back to me, he starts out the kitchen.

"Fck, what did I do?" I whisper quietly to myself, before hopping off the chair and rushing out to find him.

He's standing by the door, tugging on his sneakers, his car keys already in his hand and I hurry over to him. I lightly grip his arm just before he pulls open the door.

"What?" he snaps.

Swallowing, I gush out, "Just .. um, we can't tell anyone about what we just did. You know, the um ... the kiss."

Glaring at me, he scoffs, "What makes you think I care that much?" Then he yanks his arm free from my hold, slamming the door behind him as he walks out.

And I don't know why, but I suddenly feel like I want to die.

-

AN

What's your favorite song on SGFG? I just keep listening to the album and honestly can't decide!! All I can say is that Catch Fire is making me feel some kind of way omg

ALSOOO can you guys please please please vote ! it takes one second <3