1 - That Was Unexpected

We were nearing the end of our second set when I noticed him. I purposely don't wear my glasses when I'm on stage so that the audience are enough out of focus for me not to feel weird about making occasional eye contact. Let's face it, I can't just stare at the ceiling all night while I'm singing, can I? And even though he was slightly blurry and wearing a flat cap and spectacles as a disguise, there was no mistaking those cheekbones and the dark curls peeping out from under the hat. They are all over the Internet and social media; you'd have to live in a remote village in Outer Mongolia not to recognise them. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration, but you get my drift. I was very surprised to see him here and even more so that he was on his own and not currently being mobbed by fans or selfie hunters.

Jake and I did two songs together then I sang a couple on my own. It was as I was singing Dido's 'Sand in my Shoes' that I caught his eye and when his lips curved up a little at the edges I found it very difficult to look away - in fact, I ended up singing the line 'I want to see you again' right to him, then was mortified. To cover up I picked another couple of cute guys in the audience and sang the line to them too, so he wouldn't get the idea that I was fangirling or anything.

"Thank you very much. We're going to take a short break but we'll be back in a few minutes. The management have asked me to remind you that this is a pub and the primary goal is to sell drinks - so wander over and, you know, buy a drink or two." There was a smattering of laughter; the regulars were used to my sense of humour by now. "See you soon."

I placed my guitar next to the stool, turned off the mic and headed to the bar; teasing Jake about the chord he'd missed in one of the songs earlier on in the set. We'd worked together for nearly ten years so he is practically like a brother to me and joking and ribbing were all part of the deal - we never took offense.

I ordered an iced tea - not usual bar fare, I know, but I had to sing another set and I found it helped my vocal chords - and while I was waiting for it, I heard the smooth, deep, velvety voice of a jaguar hiding in a cello.

"You have an amazing voice," the jaguar said.

"Thank you," I replied, turning towards him ever so slowly, mentally preparing myself. I mean, come on, I had to at least warn my ovaries against any unscheduled explosions, didn't I? "So do you."

His lips lifted up ever so slightly again - hold it together, ovaries, you can do it! - and he stuck out a large hand with long, slender fingers. "I'm Be -"

"Benedict. Yes." I cut him off - because, you know, I'm so totally cool, calm and collected right now.

He quirked an eyebrow and this time his lips - oh good lord, those Cupid bow lips - tightened into a bit of a grimace. My heart plummeted - had I managed to offend him already? After only seven words? Shit!

"You know who I am, obviously."

I got my own eyebrow action going and said in a voice only slightly breathier than my usual, "Do you still meet people who don't?" Realising he still had his hand out and not wanting to leave the guy hanging, I placed my own hand in his and shook it gently - and I might have given him a small squeeze in there somewhere. His hand was warm and soft and large enough that it almost engulfed mine completely.

He stood there looking at me so I took the liberty of looking right back and holy crap, even without my glasses on the man was freaking gorgeous. After what felt like hours but in reality was probably only a couple of seconds he gave a throaty chuckle and while my insides made all kinds of writhing movements he said, "Not very often, no. Unfortunately."

"I rest my case," I quipped before I could stop myself. Come on brain; work with me here.

He smiled, a full-blown smile so beautific I had to quickly grasp the bar for support, lest the knees that felt suddenly weak should decide to give up the ghost all together. The famous laugh lines around his eyes put in an appearance too and suddenly I was having trouble breathing. Someone give me oxygen before I...oh, okay, there, I managed to breathe again. Well done.