24 - All For One

The next hour was spent so far out of my comfort zone I felt I should have worn a sign around my neck, held on with a piece of string, that said 'Completely Lost. If found please return to Cara de Luca. Reward offered.' Except there wouldn't really be a reward, as I had nothing I could offer - maybe a guitar lesson would do? Or some of nonna's cannoli?

I met with Eleanor to get more details of the gig. She gave me a contract, advising me to have my lawyer look at it before signing, as I didn't have a manager or agent. My payment would be minimal, probably barely enough to cover costs of transport and accommodation, but I had already decided this was worth doing for the experience alone. Of course, I'd miss a night with the band and my lessons as well, so I'd have to dig into my savings for next month's rent, but I would worry about that later - right now my head was swimming.

"You'll have thirty minutes," Eleanor said. "And what do you think of us doing a song together some time in the evening? I'm not sure when, we can decide once we pick something."

Seriously? Set phasers to stun! "I'd love to," I told her in the understatement of the month - maybe year. No, century.

"I'm staying in London until Tuesday, so let's both think of a few choices and maybe we could get together before then, run through them and see what we like - how does that sound?" I nodded agreement, still dumbfounded at the notion. I love this woman, I really do. We arranged for her to come to my place on Sunday - Cliff, the old guy who lives next door, is half deaf so my playing never disturbs him, and my upstairs neighbours are away at the moment - then I had to get back home for my afternoon lessons.

---

"What did you decide?" "Are you going to do it?" Rick and Marcus asked me at the same time when I arrived at Bob's that night, then gave a whoop and fist pump when I said yes. We entered the pub in jovial mood and chatted madly as we set everything up.

"We want to come with you," Rick said, stunning me, "We want to be there to play for you, rather than you using Eleanor's band."

"It makes sense," Marcus added, "We know all the songs and we know your voice and what key suits you."

"And we have the opportunity to get plenty of practice beforehand and make any changes you want."

"Guys, I..." I stood with my mouth open like a guppy, looking from one to the other. "No, you...Eleanor can't pay you...you'd miss a night at Donoghue's..."

"The money doesn't matter," Marcus assured me.

"We have day jobs Cara," Rick reminded me, "We're not as dependent on the gigs as you are. We're not expecting to be paid, we want to do it for you."

I couldn't help it; I teared up. "Oh shit, now I'm crying!"

They came closer and hugged me, chuckling at my emotional display. "So that's a yes, right?" Marcus asked.

"Are you sure? It's a Wednesday night, you'd have to take a couple of days off work and we'd have to find a replacement band for Patrick here, and..."

"Hey, it's all doable Cara, stop worrying." Rick looked at Marcus then back at me. "Just say yes already."

I hugged them tightly and managed to say yes as more tears fell; they laughed and sent me off to the ladies to fix my face while they finished setting up. When I came back Jake had arrived and things were a lot more subdued.

"Hey," he greeted me, not quite making eye contact.

"Hey," I replied, feeling awkward. "Um, thanks for the advice last night." Naturally, me being me, I began rambling. "I decided to do it, the gig with Eleanor I mean. I met with her today; she's pretty amazing. She even wants us to do a song together, so that's, you know... Now I just have to decide what I'm going to sing...and hope I don't freeze up or come out all squeaky and sounding like a chipmunk who sucked on a helium balloon..."

He put me out of my misery, thankfully, by replying succinctly, "Yeah, great. Good."

I sighed, smiling gratefully at Rick when he squeezed my arm as he passed. "Enough chit chat you two," he said drily, rolling his eyes, "we're about to start." We all got into place and when Marcus played the opening bars on keyboard, we began the set with Lana Del Rey's Video Games.

---

Ben rang just before my first student arrived on Saturday morning. "Good morning beautiful. I miss you, when am I going to see you?"

"I've missed you too my handsome Busybatch," I knew he'd hear the smile in my voice. He had been working long hours recording Neverwhere and working on post-production of Little Favour. "This weekend is rather hectic but I think I can fit you into my schedule for dinner tomorrow night if that suits?" Last night the guys and I had arranged to get together this afternoon and work on songs for my Dublin gig, and I wasn't sure how long I'd be with Eleanor tomorrow, so figured planning for the evening was safest.

"I'll take it. What's keeping you from me all weekend? Is everything okay?"

"Everything is just hunky-dory, Calldispatch. I'll tell you all about it when I see you."

He laughed at my name parody. "All right then. How about I bring some ingredients over and cook for you?"

"Do that and I'll provide dessert." I tried to sound flirty and suggestive, not sure it was working until Ben's growling response sent shivers down my spine - in a good way.

"God, Cara, don't say things like that when I have to wait another thirty hours." It was beginning to sound like torture to me too. I caught my breath - and the side of the bench - when he asked, "Shall I bring your maid's outfit with me?"

"Ben..." Clenching. Shaking. Knees weak. Lacking oxygen. Oh God. A knock sounded at the door. "Uhh...Alex is here, I...I have to go, but...yes...to your question." His groan was so damn sexy I nearly melted into a puddle right there and then. How I managed to bid him goodbye and make it to the door is beyond me.

Lessons progressed as usual for the next three hours then, after grabbing a quick bite to eat, I headed off to meet Rick and Marcus.

"I've only got half an hour," I told them, "so I don't want to chop and change about with too many different genres. Eleanor's style is folk-rock and while I don't want to poach, I'm thinking that sticking fairly close to that will appeal to the audience."

"Fair point," Rick agreed. "You're going to do a couple of your own songs aren't you?"

"I'd like to; should I?" They both agreed I should, so the first songs we picked were two of mine then we concentrated on those of other artists. Once we had half a dozen we began playing with arrangements, giving them a heavily acoustic sound then bringing in drums and keyboard as needed.

Jake's arrival reminded us we had practice for our gig that night so we started putting scores away. "What are you guys doing?" He wanted to know when he found us all there early.

"We've been practising for Cara's Dublin gig," Rick told him. "We're going with her dude, so we'll need to sort something out for Donoghue's that night."

I caught a fleeting glimpse of something on Jake's face before he hung his head - was that sadness? Disappointment? Did he feel left out? It was so difficult to tell with him these days. He simply nodded and muttered something that sounded like "Okay" before putting his guitar on and turning to the set list. I exchanged glances with the other two but nobody spoke a word as we got ready; the air felt uncomfortable but I wasn't sure it was my place to say anything. Damn Jake and his declaration of love! Why couldn't he have kept it to himself? Or told me sooner, before...hold on, what? What? Where the hell did that come from? Oh no. No, no, no. Cara, you cannot mean...you can't possibly...what are you thinking, woman? Shit!

"Cara?" Rick's voice jolted me away from my disturbing thoughts. "Are you okay?" Am I? I'm not sure that I know. I blink once, twice, knowing I need to answer but feeling like my brain is wrapped in cotton wool or thick insulation or...dammit, pull yourself together!

"Yeah," I croak, then clear my throat, avoiding everyone's eyes. "Fine." Rick gives me a look that I just catch the edge of before hastily giving my attention to the sheet of music in front of me and we all settle into place and begin our practice.