11 - It's Life Jim, But Not As We Know It

"What can I get for you?"

"Tequila shot please." Really Cara? Is that wise? Hey, I can go on to soda water afterwards but right now I need something with bite. Something that will hopefully stop me talking to myself. And answering.

"Coming right up."

The tequila had gone down very smoothly and I was about to order a soda and lime when a smooth American voice beside me said, "Now look at you; all those curves and me with no brakes." I blinked for a minute, rather stunned to have someone hitting on me at this particular party, then turned and looked up into the piercing blue eyes of none other than Captain James Tiberius Kirk himself. Oh good golly Miss Molly, another Hollywood heartthrob. I cringed internally as I opened my mouth to reply, worried at what was about to come out.

"Oh, look at you, so cheesy and me with no pizza." Holy heck, where did that come from?

He looked surprised for a few seconds then he smiled. "There's something wrong with my eyes, I can't seem to take them off you."

Quick as a flash I retorted, "I'm having trouble with mine too; I can't see you getting anywhere." What the hell? Is it the tequila? I feel like Raj from Big Bang Theory.

He laughed and threw out one more. "Do you believe in love at first sight? Or should I walk by again?"

I immediately countered with, "Go ahead, I need to practice shooting at a moving target."

He put his hand over his heart, saying "Ouch!" and we both cracked up laughing then he held his hand out to me. "Chris Pine."

"Cara de Luca." I put my hand in his and he raised it to his mouth and kissed my fingers. I'm pretty sure he stole that move from someone else. "Cara?" he asked, looking surprised. "As in Benedict's friend Cara?"

"Guilty as charged."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Cara, I've heard a lot of good things about you."

"I wish I could say the same, Chris." Bloody hell, I'm on a roll! Maybe I should have another shot after all.

Now he had a broad grin on his face. "No wonder Benedict warned me to be on my best behaviour around you."

"He did?"

"I know you'll find it difficult to believe, Cara, but I can be a bit of a womaniser." 

I grinned back. "No, really? With cheesy pick up lines like you were using? You mean there are actually women out there gullible enough to fall for those?"

"Thankfully, yes."

We both laughed again then he tucked my hand around his arm, saying, "Come on, Benedict's over this way and I know he's been looking for you." As we weaved our way through the crowds, Chris frequently saying hello or nodding to people as we passed, we chatted freely and I couldn't believe how at ease I felt in his company.

When Ben saw us approaching he excused himself from the people he was talking to and met us halfway. I felt a warm glow spreading from my toes up through my body; he had called me his girlfriend to his friends and now the way he was looking at me was causing all kinds of fluttering in my stomach. Unsure how I should greet him in front of Chris and anyone who might be watching, I was surprised when he put a hand to my waist and lowered his head to kiss me; although it was quick, it was intense enough to leave me a little breathless.

"You look exquisite," he murmured into my ear, making me blush a little.

"Thank you. You look very handsome yourself." Which he did; the dark three-piece suit he wore fitted his slender body to perfection. The Sherlock curls had all disappeared, straightened and smoothed back from his face, which only highlighted his cheekbones even more.