33 - Pinch Me Please

I woke around two feeling considerably better; I showered, dressed and took more aspirin for the dull headache that was still lurking, craving caffeine but with no time to go buy some before my first student was due. Grabbing an apple to feed the hunger pangs, I looked at all the flowers; the nearest vase held no clue as to the sender so I wandered around looking in each one, admiring the colours and variety of blooms as I went. None of them revealed a card but I was reasonably certain who had sent them and went into the bedroom to find my phone just as it pinged with a text.

Ben: How's the head?

Cara: Still on my shoulders, surprisingly.

Ben: May I come over later?

Cara: Only if you bring coffee. Strong. Hot. Lots.

Ben: Yes ma'am. See you around 5.30.

Cara: Thank you for the beautiful flowers x

Ben: My pleasure x

A knock at the door heralded Jaime's arrival for her singing lesson, so for the next couple of hours I concentrated on teaching. With only two weeks until the term ended, we were practising for an end-of-year concert for all the parents and families so over the next fortnight I would have my students rehearsing in groups as well as individually to prepare.

By the time Ben arrived my stomach was reminding me the apple was the only thing I'd eaten all day and I was craving coffee so much I rivalled a junkie needing her next fix. Opening the door to him, I barely pecked his cheek before snatching a cup from the tray and taking a gulp.

"Oh God," I closed my eyes and moaned as the strong, bitter fluid hit my taste buds, ignoring the scalding of my tongue and throat as I swallowed. After a few more gulps I opened my eyes to see Ben still standing just inside the door, the four-cup tray in his hands missing only the one I was currently drinking from, a bemused smile on his face. Taking a smaller sip, I put my cup down, removed the tray from his hands to place it safely on the counter and stepped closer to greet him properly. "Coffee Man, you're my hero," I told him gratefully, pulling him down by the collar to bring his lips within range – when I wasn't wearing heels, our height difference meant those scrumptious beasts were much too far away from mine.

His arms encircled me as we kissed and I went up on tiptoes as he pulled me closer against his strong, lean warmth. Beginning to feel energised, I wondered if it were the caffeine kicking in already or simply the effect Ben had on me. Note to self: buy one of those 'I Am Sherlocked' t-shirts.

"Wow. If I'd known what an effect bringing you coffee would have, I would bring it every time I see you," he grinned after releasing me. I laughed as I retrieved my cup and drained it then took another from the tray. He took one as well. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better now, thank you." Taking his hand I led him to an armchair, perching on the arm once he'd settled his long limbs. "And now that I'm a lot more sober than I was when we spoke last night, I can thank you properly for arranging for nonno and nonna to be there. Ben, that was incredibly kind and thoughtful of you, not to mention generous and it meant a lot to me. Thank you so much."

"I'm glad it brought you pleasure. And them too, of course." I kissed him again, hard, relishing the taste of him as well as the hint of coffee. Hangover cure: Ben's kisses. Shame I can't bottle it. Just then a loud grumble sounded from my tummy. "Are you in need of food, by any chance?" he grinned, breaking his lips free from mine.

"Brilliant deduction Sherlock; what was the clue - the colour of my toenail clippings or the brand of toothpaste I use?" I teased as I polished off my second cup of coffee, grinning when he threw his head back and let out a loud belly laugh. "Actually the only thing I've eaten today is an apple, so yes, I am rather in need of sustenance – I could whip us up an omelette if you like."