5 - Unofficial Secrets Act

"How do you have your coffee?"

"Milk with one sugar please."

"Shall we take it out on the balcony?"

When he'd poured and handed me my cup I followed his lead and we sat in the lukewarm sun gazing out over rooftops and a large patch of green that stretched further around than I could see. "Is that Hampstead Heath?" I asked, indicating the green.

"Yes."

"Did you know it came about when Ethelred the Unready granted five acres to one of his servants in 986? Then the monastery of St Peter's at Westminster Abbey held it until part of it was –"

I stopped because he was suddenly on his knees in front my chair, removing the cup from my grasp to place it nearby then taking both my hands in his, looking me in the eye with a soft, gentle smile on his face. "Cara," I nodded, "as fascinating as that is and as impressed as I am that you know the history of the Heath," I gave a half smile, "I think you're still nervous and I'm wondering what it's going to take to make you feel at ease in my company."

"Oh." I blinked.

"Is it the acting thing? Because I could totally blow that off and become an astrophysicist."

That made me laugh, which made him smile. "It's partly that I guess. But mostly it's...you."

He frowned a little, obviously puzzled. "Me?"

I sighed. "Oh god, you're going to make me say it out loud." I was well used to feeling embarrassed after I had said things; I wasn't so fond of feeling embarrassed even before I said them. "Ben, I..." Oh crap, I just had to man up and say it. I squirmed a little in my seat. "It's not unusual to get very nervous around...really...hot...guys."

Now it was his turn to say, "Oh." I closed my eyes, mortified, only to open them again in surprise when he said, "You think I'm hot?"

"Of course." Seriously? Does he not know himself at all? "You are intelligent and witty and charming – and that combination alone makes me literally weak at the knees. You have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen and this whole..." I tugged a hand free of his and waved it up and down, "slim, muscular bod thing you have going is...and dammit, you smell so good...don't even get me started on your giggle..."

His arms wrapped around me, pulling me forward on my chair as his lips crashed into mine and once again all thought was wiped from my head. I put my hands on his chest, finding that patch of skin that had tantalised me outside and running my fingers over it lightly, feeling him quiver at my touch.

"You are the most beautiful, tantalising seductress I have ever met," he murmured as his lips moved their assault to my neck. I almost looked around to see who else was in the room but the nibbling at my earlobe totally distracted me. "You're not nervous when I kiss you."

I mumbled something, I think.

"Clearly I'm just going to have to kiss you more often."

Yikes.

"Ben," I breathed, pushing him back a little so I could look in his face, "this is...madness. We met less than twenty-four hours ago." I've got to be honest; I was a little impressed I could still do math even that simple with him there so close.

"I know." He leaned forward to rest his forehead on mine. "What have you done to me, woman?" The teasing note in his voice made me smile.

"Oh, so it's my fault is it? Let me just remind you that it was you who came to my place of work mister; you with your deep voice and geeky glasses."

"Well, if we're going to start talking geeky glasses..."

I punched him lightly on the shoulder; he raised his head, a hand smoothing my hair back then running ever so gently down the side of my face as he smiled at me. My hand did the same, fingering the wild curls – his Sherlock hair; he was obviously filming for that – then over one of his incredible cheekbones and across to the perfect bow of his upper lip.