37 - In The Studio

"I love it," Mick stated over the microphone. "If you're happy with it, let's get it down."

Barely believing how great my song sounded with Mick's magical touches added, I told him I was happy and turned back to my guitar.

"Okay boys and girls, best behaviour this time; we're laying this baby down on track."

Once everyone was ready I counted myself in, plucking the first few chords. Jake, Rick and Marcus were all here with me; it was one of the stipulations I had made with Mick - I wanted them to be my band for the single at least, even if Mick added other musicians as well. After that, the guys could opt out if they wished, but if all of them were happy, they'd be with me for the album as well. They had to take time from their day jobs but I would make sure they were well paid to cover it - even if the album didn't sell; I'd find the money somehow. In my darkest moments when I had my doubts about its success, I tried to stay optimistic by telling myself at least I would have plenty of presents to give friends and family for Christmas.

When the last note died away, Mick gave me a grin and a thumbs-up through the glass window and Marcus made a joyful 'whoop' and came over to grab me for a hug.

"Your first single, Cara! Bloody ace!" I laughed and accepted congratulations from everyone before Jake called to Mick to play it back for us. We sat and listened and I felt as I imagined a mother would when seeing her child graduate and go off into the big wide world; my song was my baby and I was sending it out into the great unknown, hoping it would survive and thrive. I was exhilarated and terrified at the same time.

"Course, you know Cara," Rick said, putting an arm around my shoulder. "If the single does well we'll need to make a music video and get it up on YouTube."

"A video? You're kidding, right?"

He shook his head. "How many hit singles of the last twenty years don't have a video?" Dammit, he was right. I groaned and he laughed softly. "Cheer up, we'll keep it simple and let the song speak for itself - no weird gimmicks or anything. Class on a budget."

Slightly mollified, I told him, "All right - but if I'm going to be in a video, you three are too." Annoyingly, they didn't seem to be anyway near as daunted by the idea as I was.

---

"What do you think about Greece?"

"Mmm, ambivalent I guess. It can be a bit tricky to get rid of, depending on the surface, but nonna swears by a mix of lemon juice and baking soda." I peered at Ben but couldn't see any stains on his shirt, jeans or visible body parts. "Turn around," I told him, spinning my hand to illustrate. He looked rather nonplussed but obediently turned on the spot for me. "Again, slower please."

"Darling, I was referring to the country. What on earth am I doing this for?" He looked puzzled as he slowly turned 360 degrees.

"The first time I was checking for signs of grease stains, but the second spin I have to admit, I was just admiring the scenery."

When he burst out laughing I felt a grin spread across my face and a tug in my chest. He laughed with the whole of his upper body; eyes sparkling and crinkling, lips drawn wide, shoulders shaking - even his fingers curled. It was adorable and sexy at the same time.

"Incorrigible wench," murmured his voice suddenly close to my ear, so deep and sensuous I'd swear my goosebumps had goosebumps. "My incorrigible wench," he gathered me into his arms, raining kisses all over my still grinning face before doing things to my neck that turned the grin into a gasp as I ran my fingers through the hair at his nape. "If we weren't going to my parents' for lunch, I'd..."

Photograph जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें