29 - The Two Mr Darcys

"I have to go. Will you take my guitar for me?"

He agreed and I started to leave the room then turned back. "Jake..." Once again I found myself giving him a hug. "Thank you."

"For what?" His voice was gruff.

"For telling me about Ben. You didn't have to, you could have kept it to yourself and I would have been none the wiser."

"You...you love him don't you?"

"Yes."

"Well then." His head was hung, his green eyes downcast. I reached up and kissed his cheek.

"I love you too, you know," I told him softly. "I'm sorry it's not in the way you want, but for what it's worth, I'm glad to have you as my friend. I would hate for anything to jeopardise that." I hugged him again. "See you tomorrow." Then I left and caught the first taxi I saw.

There were no lights showing when I looked up from the footpath and no answer when I knocked on his door; I tried again, louder, in case he was asleep, but it was soon obvious he was out so I sat down on his welcome mat to wait.

---

Tickling. Something was tickling my cheek. I swatted at it languidly but it persisted, so I waved my hand harder and was startled into movement when whatever it was made a loud noise. "Ow, Christ!" Rolling away from it in panic, I felt myself falling and seconds later was brought into consciousness by the jolt of landing on the floor.

"God, Cara are you all right?"

A face peered over what I now recognised was a bed. His face. His bed. "Something was tickling me," I said, not quite awake yet in spite of my tumble.

"I think that was probably me." He rubbed his face.

Oh shit, I hit him. "Did I hurt you?"

"No, I'm fine." We lay there looking at one another, him on the bed and me on the floor. "Would you like some help to get up or are you wanting to stay on the floor for the foreseeable future?"

"It's actually quite comfortable, you have a really plush carpet." His mouth quirked a little and a string tugged in my chest. There was plenty of light in the room although I could see the curtains were still closed. "What time is it?"

His head disappeared for a minute, presumably to consult a timepiece. "Nine thirty," came his voice before he reappeared. His hair was dishevelled and he obviously hadn't shaved in a couple of days judging by the chin fuzz my fingers were suddenly aching to explore. Like me, he appeared to be fully clothed. God, he looked gorgeous.

I remembered sitting outside his door; I remembered resting my head against it and closing my eyes for just a minute. I don't remember anything else.

"I found you laying outside my door fast asleep," he said, as if he could read my thoughts, "So I carried you in here, figuring it had to be more comfortable than my welcome mat. I hope that was okay."

I nodded. "How did you know where Jake lived?" He didn't seem too concerned at the sudden change of topic.

"Bob." That surprised me. "Of course, first I had to convince him I wasn't looking for Jake to beat his head in or anything." That sounds more like it.

"I know why you did it, gave Jake the money I mean," I told him, feeling something sunshiny and warm blossoming in my chest.

"You do?" Our gazes locked.

"I've read Jane Austen and seen plenty of chick flicks in my time."

His mouth twitched again. "How are they relevant?"

"The guy makes a grand gesture for the girl he loves - you know, like when Mr Darcy tracks down Lydia and Wickham and arranges and pays for their wedding so Lizzie and her sisters won't be hurt by the scandal." I paused but didn't take my eyes off his face. "A gesture like arranging for the rival to play at her gig to show her he trusts her."

"Move over," he said and as I wriggled over a little, he rolled off the bed to join me on the floor. "I'm sorry I didn't do a very good job at showing you that earlier." He pressed his face into the hand I gently placed on his cheek then put his own hand over mine. "I do trust you Cara."

I gave a small nod. "I know that now."

"And I love you, so much."

The warm sunshine was everywhere now, throughout my body, chasing away the shadow of heartache and making me feel like I was glowing. "I know," I smiled.

He gave me that sexy half smile I love almost as much as I love him. "Star Wars reference!"

I burst into laughter but it was cut off as he crushed me to him and placed his mouth on mine, all his love there in his kiss. Lord, how I've missed his kiss.

"Ben?"

"Yes darling?"

"Shouldn't you be at work?"

"Are you trying to send me away already woman?" I kissed him, hard, to show him how absurd that comment was. He brushed my hair back from my face and placed a kiss on my eyelids. "When I found you on my doorstep I sent Adam a text to say I wouldn't be in today."

"That was very forward thinking of you Cumbers." I ran my fingers through the beard that had been tickling my face and neck, looking at him through my eyelashes. "Have you any idea how we're going to spend the day?"

"I have a few ideas." I raised my brows until he admitted gruffly, "Well, one idea."

Smiling, I placed my hand on his chest. "Did you know if you go off the main paths in Richmond Park it's easy to be hidden amongst the thick trees and shrubs?" I could see as he shook his head that he was puzzled by the topic I'd introduced. "And did you also know that the horses from the Wimbledon Village stables are exceptionally placid creatures, not easily frightened by any...disturbances around them?"

"Sweetheart, I..." I could see in his eyes the moment the penny dropped. "Oh! Oh God Cara, I...really?"

"If you feel up for the challenge," I smirked. I'm pretty sure his answering growl was a yes... and that it was a very good idea to get some practice first right there on his bedroom floor...and again at my flat when we called in so I could change clothes.

The horses we hired were terrific; they didn't seem nervous or skittish at all. Ben, however, was - but he's a quick study and he soon got the hang of it.

Author's Note: Sorry it's such a short chapter but soon after I wrote this part I got word that a dear friend of mine has passed away after a ten-year battle with cancer, so as you can imagine, I didn't feel much like adding more. It might be a few days before the next update. Hope you enjoy this one, and Ben and Cara being back together ... as well as Jake turning out to be a good guy after all.