Chapter Five

****Maya's P.O.V.****

"Look who's staring now."

I watched as he pulled away with a smug smirk on his face, still looking at me.

"We should probably go. I mean, it's been a while and I've had enough time to think," I told him, breaking the stare by turning away as I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"What happened to you being scared of heights?" He asked me, the same smirk stuck on his face.

"Well I'm more scared of where this conversation is going," I muttered under my breath, watching as he stood up from his spot and dusted his jeans off.

"What was that?" He asked, stepping down onto the first step of the ladder but still looking at me.

"Nothing, now wipe that smug little smirk of yours off your face and hurry up," I told him impatiently.

"Ouch. That hurt, Maya," he said, holding a hand to his heart sarcastically.

"Oh just shut up already."

He just smirked before climbing down the ladder.

"You coming?" He asked as he stepped down off the last step and looked up at me.

"Yeah, I was just waiting for you to get down," I told him, getting more nervous by the second. God, I really hate heights.

"You know what, I think I'm just going to stay up here," I told him.

"Oh no you don't. You are going to come down here right this second. "

"But I don't want to."

"Come on, Maya. You have to come down at some point. What's your deal?"

"I already told you what 'my deal' was. Not my fault if you weren't paying attention."

"Of course I was paying attention. You're scared of heights. But I didn't think you were this scared, considering you were laughing the whole way up there."

"Well you were distracting me. And now, here I am, not distracted and scared as hell."

"Why are you so scared of heights, anyways?"

"I'm not necessarily sacred of heights, I'm just scared of falling from heights."

"Well, would it help if I told you I would catch you if you fell?"

"Not really."

"Oh, come on, Maya. Don't you trust me?"

"Of course I trust you. But-"

"Then don't question it. Now come down," he interrupted, opening his arms wide. I let out a sigh and ran a shaky hand through my hair before walking forward, turning around, and bending over, my hands gripping the ladder until my knuckles turned white.

"Are you sure you're ready to catch me?" I asked, turning my head as I placed one foot on the first step.

"Of course."

"Okay," I replied, turning my head back around and putting my other foot on the first step. I continued slowly making my way down the ladder until I was halfway down. I tarted to become more confident and move a little faster down the ladder when the heel of my shoe slipped off the ladder, sending me falling down and down to the hard ground.

I squeezed my eyes shut and clenched my fists, waiting for the contact of the ground to come, yet it never did. All I felt was a pair of arms wrapping around me and enveloping me in a tight embrace. I felt my heart rate quicken as I opened my eyes slightly, only to have my heart beat out of my chest when I saw how close my face was to Gabe's. We were centimeters apart and I felt his eyes staring into my own. I froze when I saw his gaze move to my lips. He looked back in my eyes and started leaning in when I spoke.