Chapter Nine

****Maya's P.O.V.****

"Come on, Huckleberry," I grinned, seeing his flustered reaction. "All you gotta do is just grab her face and pull her in real close and plant one on her. It's pretty simple, really."

"You don't understand," he sighed, shaking his head. "I want this kiss to be special. She means the world to me and I want to prove that to her."

"You seem like you have some other reasoning behind this," I told him, raising an eyebrow. He gulped as I stepped closer to him, avoiding looking into my eyes. "What is your other reasoning?"

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," he stuttered, taking a step away from me. He looked extremely uncomfortable and unsure of what he was saying, but I couldn't imagine why.

"You don't seem too confident in that statement."

"I am so," he argued, but he refused to make eye contact.

"Really?" I questioned, inching forward so I was now right in front of him, looking at his face that was pointed to the ground. I grabbed his face and lifted it up so he had no choice but to look me in the eyes. "Tell me the truth, Lucas. Why are you doing this? Why do you need to kiss Riley? What is the point of this kiss? What will you benefit from this kiss? What's in it for you?"

"I swear it's nothing," he tried to reassure me, his face paling when his back hit the tree.

"It's not nice to lie, Huckleberry," I smirked, leaning in closer to whisper something in his ear, realizing how much our proximity was affecting him. "What's going on in that head of yours right now? Why are you so nervous?"

"C-Can you back up-p a b-bit?" He stuttered, his cheeks reddening.

So my closeness to him was making him nervous.

"You know what, Ranger Rick? I don't think I will. I think I'm just going to stay right here until you tell me why you want to kiss Riley so badly."

"Maybe I just do, okay? It's none of your business what I do with her anyways!"

"It actually is my business, Sundance. This is my best friend we're talking about."

"Can you just leave me alone?" He groaned, still not making eye contact with me.

"Nope," I grinned, and he rolled his eyes. He tried pushing past me, but I kept my feet planted. He started falling and I tried to step away to keep myself from falling, but it was useless. He grabbed my body and dragged me down with him, me falling on top of him with our chests pressed together. I was surprised by how hard his chest was, and I bit my lip when I realized how close our faces were. He kept staring at me, looking all over my face. I couldn't help but look into his gorgeous green eyes that I could just melt-

Oh my god I'm turning into Riley.

He started to lean in and I tried to push him away, but my arms weren't obeying me.

Come on, stupid arms! Work! You can't let Lucas kiss me!

I mean it wouldn't be the most horrible thing in the world-

Yes it would be! Come on, arms! I'm relying on you!

His face was so close to mine, and with my arms not working and my brain still making up its mind on whether or not it wanted to let Lucas kiss me, all I could do was just sit there, eyes wide open, as Lucas leaned closer and closer. His lips and mine were so close, I don't think he could get much closer without our lips touching. My heart beat quickened as I felt one of his hands go to my cheek, and his lips just barely brushed against mine when a sudden 'crack!' echoed throughout the woods. I finally gained control of my body and pulled away quickly, frightened at what the noise could have been.