Chapter Eight

****Gabe's P.O.V.****

I don't like this 'Lucas' character.

I don't like the way he acts around Maya.

I don't like his stupid perfect hair and his stupid pearly white smile.

And don't even get me started on how he stares at Maya. It's disgusting. Just like when I walked in on them in the kitchen. It disgusts me to see her all giggly with him.

But before you ask, no, I'm not jealous. I just don't like how she's always so flirty with Lucas.

I can't tell you why, because I don't even know why I do.

I just.. do.

There's no explanation toward it, but I have a feeling that Lucas doesn't like me very much either.

Too bad I don't care.

I will do anything and everything in my power to keep Maya away from him and with me.

And I know exactly how to do that.

****Riley's P.O.V.****

I was just pulling on my shirt when I heard a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" I called, pulling my pants on and shimmying into them.

"It's Maya," I heard her muffled voice say through the door.

"Come in," I told her, straightening out my shirt. She came in quickly and shut the door behind her, leaning her back against it once it was closed.

"You okay?" I asked, watching her put her head back and let out a deep sigh.

"Yeah. I just needed to get out of that hella awkward conversation."

"What conversation?"

"The one I just had with Gabe and Lucas. I swear to god they were about to kill each other."

"That's highly doubtable. Lucas wouldn't hurt a fly. That is, unless he was given a reason to hurt it. But Gabe hasn't done anything wrong yet, so I don't understand why he has such a strong hatred toward Gabe."

"That's what I don't understand. He doesn't know about the kiss. As far as he knows, we only hung out."

"Maybe he has feelings for you," I said, and she burst out laughing.

"You think Ranger Rick likes me?" She laughed, trying to calm herself down. I nodded my head and I felt my eyes starting to get a little glossy.

"No, no no. Please don't cry, Riles," She told me, wrapping me in a tight hug. I started sobbing into her shoulder, soaking the shirt she was wearing with my tears.

"Don't worry, Riles. Lucas likes you and only you. Ranger Rick doesn't like me, he never has and he never will."

"Does that mean I can't date him because he doesn't like you?" I asked, calming down slightly.

"Of course not, Riley," She laughed. "You just keep doing whatever your little heart desires. I'll be fine. I'm always fine."

"But I don't want to hurt y-"

"Riley. You like Lucas. Lucas likes you. I have never liked him and never will. He has never liked me and never will. And I'm happy with that. So stop worrying about me and just go out with Lucas."

"It's not that easy, Maya. I really really like him, and I'm scared that he would say no if I asked him out."

"Just go for it, Riley. There's no way he would say no. He came all the way out here with Shawn just to see you. I'm pretty sure that's a pretty solid way to show someone that you really like them."