Chapter Eighteen

****Maya's P.O.V.****

"You guys make me sick," I mumbled, taking a sip of my creamy chocolate milkshake. The frosty liquid slid down my throat slowly, and I instantly felt a shiver go down my spine.

"We aren't that bad," Riley told me, and I scoffed almost instantly.

"You're sharing a milkshake and you keep staring at each other and giggling."

"It's not our fault you invited yourself on our date just because you don't want to have to face Gabe," Lucas informed me, and I groaned.

"Don't remind me."

"I don't get why you can't just say yes," Riley whined, and I could see her bottom lip begin to stick out, resembling a pouty lip. "I mean you like him and he likes you. Why can't you just do this for yourself? Why can't you ever let yourself be happy?"

"Because even if we do date, you and I going to have to leave. I don't want to do long distance, it's just too much commitment. I'm only 14, I shouldn't have to worry about being tied down by someone. And honestly, I think I'm a bit too young to start dating."

"Who cares? If he makes you happy you should be with him."

"That's the thing," I started, taking a slurp from my almost empty milkshake cup before continuing. "I'm not sure if he makes me happy."

"What does that mean?" Lucas spoke up, and I swear I could almost see a glimmer of hope in his eyes.

"I mean, if I really liked him that much, then I never would've questioned my feelings for him. Like when I thought I had feelings for you," I told Lucas, and he looked confused. "If I really and truly had feelings for him, I wouldn't have thought I had feelings for you at the same time, even though my feelings for you are strictly on a friends basis."

"Wow," Riley mumbled, and she almost looked a bit saddened. But, she quickly covered the sad look with a cocky grin before Lucas could notice. "You just admitted that Lucas is your friend!"

I rolled my eyes and laughed at her excited tone.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm aware of what I said."

"You don't get how amazing this is! Seeing my best friend and my.. boyfriend.. getting along so well is a huge relief!"

"Why were you worried? Lucas and I have always been friends. I may not have been the nicest to him, but that's just me being me. In case you didn't notice, I'm kind of a sarcastic person."

"Wow, Maya Hart just admitted she's my friend," Lucas smirked. "I feel so honored."

"Oh, shut up Ranger Roy," I rolled my eyes at the country boy.

"Wow, Ranger Roy? I haven't heard that one in a while."

"I just thought I should change it up."

"You put thought into our little game, don't you?"

"Maybe a little. What's it to you?"

"I just find it interesting that THE Maya Hart actually cares about something that has to do with me," he smirked, looking at me with his light green eyes and I could feel a smile spread across my face.

I kind of just stared at him, taking in his facial features. His flawless complexion, his tanned skin, his pink lips, his pearly white teeth, his amazing jawline.

Everything about him was just.. perfect.

"Are you guys done staring at each other yet?" Riley interrupted me, and I instantly snapped my gaze away from Lucas, looking over at her. I tried to keep the blush off of my cheeks, not wanting her to get mad at me for staring at her boyfriend.