Chapter 14

The only sound audible was the clacking of my heels against the hardwood floor as I paced back and forth through the kitchen. I was biting my nails and running my hands through my hair nervously. I looked down at my dress. I had changed it three times. I questioned whether or not the dress I chose was too short. I didn't have time to decide before there was a strong knock at the door.

I pulled open the door and my breath hitched in my throat. Leaned against the doorframe coolly was the source of my anxiousness. Hair perfectly tousled in loose curls and eyes the most vibrant of greens, he wore a black button up shirt and black jeans with a maroon blazer that remained open. Harry Styles was a vision before me.

"Hello." His voice rasped the greeting and left me reeling.

"Hi," I mumbled.

"You look lovely." Harry smirked as his eyes traipsed up and down my frame quickly. His eyes didn't linger on me distastefully.

"Thank you, Harry. You look nice as well."

He chuckled at my compliment. "Thanks, love. Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah," I nodded. I locked the door behind me and stuffed the keys in my clutch.

Harry had driven his black SUV to pick me up. When we stepped outside, he guided me to his car and politely opened the door for me. I fastened my seatbelt as he climbed in the car. The radio was on a local station and there was a familiar song playing.

We were going to a new restaurant that had opened just two weeks earlier. It was downtown and had been the topic of much conversation all across the city. When we arrived, there were people surrounding the restaurant hoping to get a table. A few heads turned when they saw Harry pull up.

Harry parked the SUV in front of the valet on the curb. A man wearing a uniform opened my door and helped me from the car. I walked around to join Harry as he passed the keys to the valet. "Styles," he muttered as the valet scribbled his name on a sheet at the kiosk.

"Let's go in, yeah?" Harry smiled at me. He didn't seem to be paying attention to the several people shouting his name and pointing cameras at him.

The doors were opened for us as we walked in. Harry approached the hostess working at the front of the restaurant. "Good evening." She looked nervous. Clearly, she recognized Harry.

"Reservation for Styles."

"Right this way, Mr. Styles."

Our table was in a secluded section of the restaurant where very few others were dining. Harry pulled out a chair for me and sat directly across from me. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. My heart sank; I didn't want to spend dinner with Harry as he toggled between me and whatever business he had on his phone.

"There," he said triumphantly. He deposited the phone back in his pocket. "I don't want anyone bothering us tonight. It's just me and you."

I smiled. He had turned his phone off for me. I didn't know how many countless others may need to reach him about something more important than our date, but he had prioritized me and that meant something.

Dinner with Harry was anything but awkward. He kept the conversation going the entire time. He told stories of being on tour and hanging out with the boys. He was lighthearted as he talked about his family briefly. But more than that, Harry was genuinely interested what I had to say. He encouraged me to talk about my life and where I came from. By the time dessert arrived, I couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness knowing our date was coming to a close.