Chapter 78

{Kate's Point of View}

The night was just beginning; lipstick was fresh, eyeliner was even, and my heels hadn't started hurting my feet yet. Saturday nights had been spent in the office for far too many consecutive weeks. For once, we had been given a night off and Alessandra, Tory, Natalia, Jill, and I took full advantage.

I sat back in the booth stifling laughter as Tory and Natalia took the karaoke stage to sing a Spice Girls song. Alessandra had her phone ready to video the whole performance. Jill was cheering loudly as the song started. Dressed in sequins and leather, the girls owned the stage. Heads turned as the management consultants turned pop stars strutted around and shook their hair. By the time their song ended, the entire place was on its feet demanding an encore.

"Brilliant," Alessandra clapped as Natalia and Tory returned to our table.

"Putting Posh Spice to shame," I nudged Tory.

"Could we buy you ladies some drinks?" a guy asked. He approached our table with four of his friends.

"Sorry, babe," Alessandra held up her left hand and pointed to a ring on her finger. "We're all taken. It's our friend's bachelorette party."

"I'm the bride," Jill gushed. "Last of my friends to get married, too!"

The boys looked horrified. They nodded and backed away slowly while needlessly apologizing.

"Did you see how disappointed they were?" Alessandra burst out laughing. She moved the diamond cocktail ring from her ring finger back to her middle finger on her right hand where it originated. "Poor lads," she joked.

"Who's next?" Tory sipped her drink.

"Us!" I cried. I pulled Alessandra's hand and made our way toward the stage where two girls were finishing a Whitney Houston song. "Hold my phone!" I tossed my phone to Tory.

Alessandra and I debated which Destiny's Child song to sing as we walked onto the stage. My mind was hazy with the adrenaline of performing. All of my reservations had disappeared earlier in the evening. Being with my best friends and having fun had made me feel like I was floating. Alessandra and I grabbed the microphones and faced the anxiously awaiting crowd. She winked at me and I smiled back.

"Hey!" Tory stood up from the back booth our group had claimed. She held my phone up and the screen was illuminated. "Your boyfriend," she mouthed.

My mind rushed to Harry. He was home on a short break between legs of tour. He had insisted I go out while he spent the night in at his townhouse. He had been tired and not feeling well. I was worried something was wrong. I gave Tory a pleading look.

"Hang on," she mouthed. Tory dashed to the front of the club and jumped up the stairs to take the stage. She forced the phone into my hand and gently pushed me until I was at the top of the stairs. "Sorry, everyone. You get to hear from me again. Hit it!" Tory cued the DJ and the music began to play. She opened the song with a strong note.

I answered the call before reaching the front of the club. "Hello?"

"Kate," Harry said, his voice hoarse.

"What's the matter?"

"Where are you?"

"I'm out. What's wrong?" I pushed through the front doors of the club and staggered onto the street. The summer air was warm still. The street was busy with people walking in and out of clubs, waiting for the bus, and heading home for the night. I walked down the street a small distance until I could hear Harry better. His breathing was loud and ragged over the phone. I could hear him sniffling between breaths. "Harry, please tell me what's wrong."