Chapter 90

{Kate's Point of View}

The email from Mr. Hendrix's friend at Advert came just a few days after he told me about the interview. It was a short message thanking me for agreeing to participate in their PR feature. I was given a time and place to meet for the interview as well. It was strange to be the one getting interviewed as opposed to setting up the interview, which was a far more familiar role for me.

Despite Mr. Hendrix's assurances that this was a good opportunity with a reputable source, I couldn't help but feel nervous. So much attention had been placed on me for all the wrong reasons. It seemed strange that anyone would be more interested in my personal accomplishments and career than my relationship status and behind-the-scenes secrets of One Direction. I was apprehensive about doing the interview because I wanted the focus to stay on me, not on Harry. 

____________

I stood outside The Georgian on the fourth floor of Harrods. The department store was rather busy for a frigid Thursday afternoon. I tried not to look as out of place as I felt standing in front of the restaurant with people walking past me. I checked the email on my phone to make sure I had the right date and the right place. I did.

The Georgian was an elegant restaurant with tables scattered about a large room. Everything about the space was regal; chandeliers, stained glass, white linens, fresh flowers, velvet. There was a man in a tuxedo playing a grand piano in the corner. Ladies sipped white wine and shared quiet, polite laughs at a table near the entrance.

"Kate?" A voice called gently.

I turned to see a woman seated at a table in a secluded corner of the room. I walked over to her and she stood up and offered her hand. "Kate," I confirmed.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Jessica. Please, have a seat."

I sat in the chair across the table from Jessica. There were already tiered plates of pastries, finger sandwiches, and scones with jams and jellies at the table. A glass of ice water was waiting at the top of my place setting. A yellow legal pad and pen were near Jessica's.

"The Georgian has the most incredible tea," Jessica gushed. "They're bringing it out in just a few minutes. I wanted it to be hot when you got here."

"Did I keep you waiting?" I asked.

"No," she shook her head. "Not at all."

Jessica had fair skin and a dusting of freckles all over face. Her hair was a soft red hidden under strawberry blonde highlights. She wore thick black eyeliner that looked out of place on her brown eyes. Her lips were coated in a cherry red lipstick that clashed with the silk shirt she wore under a tweed blazer. The dramatic heels she wore had to have been hurting her feet. She gave a devilish smile. She had a peculiar American accent; she certainly wasn't from New York or L.A.

"I am supposed to apologize that Bethany was unable to be the one to interview you. She's a close friend with Mr. Hendrix. Unfortunately, there was a problem with one of the other interviews that needed her attention. I hope you aren't disappointed."

"I don't mind," I shrugged. I reached for the glass of ice water and took a sip.

Jessica produced an iPhone from her purse and set it on the table. I looked down to see it already open to Voice Memos. "I'll be recording our conversation in addition to taking notes. If you want something off the record, just tell me and I'll pause the recording. Any questions?"

"No," I shook my head.

"Great." She pushed the red button and the recording began.

"Lately you have been making quite a bit of noise in the PR scene in London," Jessica led.