Chapter 54

{Harry's Point of View}

Lights from the city spilled in through the window creating a soft glow. I lay on my side facing Kate and watching her chest rise and fall in sleep. I felt fatigue pulling on me, but I couldn't resist just a few more minutes of watching her. After too many nights of sleeping alone, I loved having her in my bed. I loved feeling her legs brush mine when she shifted. I loved having her hands tugging on my shirt when she got cold. I loved having her body pressed against mine in the morning.

The smell of our night in Milan was still on my skin. The feeling of the breeze was still in my hair. The taste of her lips was still in my mouth. A full year of having Kate in my life and I couldn't get over the effect she had on me. She was my biggest distraction, my biggest supporter, my best friend, my lover. Kate had long ago cast a spell on me I couldn't break—and didn't want to. She pleased me to no end, but also taught me the gratification of pleasing her.

Kate's permanence in my life was so important to me. I knew I could always trust her and rely on her. She was stability for me when not many things could be. I never knew what city I would end up in. I never knew which friends I could count on. I never before had a relationship that I felt truly confident in. My life was constantly in motion and dragging me along defenselessly, but not when she was around. She was my rock.

I lay contentedly in the warmth of the bed beside her and let the year of our relationship play out in my mind. I had to resist the urge to reach out and pull her to me. I wanted physical closeness all the time. I didn't mind her resistance to furthering our physical intimacy, but I did like knowing there were things she would do only with me. I took comfort in the fact that she trusted me.

Kate stirred beside me. Her legs stretched out as she frowned in her sleep. Slowly, she shifted to her side and faced me. Without opening her eyes, she put forth her hand and felt for me. It was obvious she was still asleep, but it was also obvious that she was looking for me. Kate eased across the bed and settled right beside me. I readjusted myself and pulled her even closer to me. Her body molded around mine and she buried her face in my chest.

I looked at the clock and saw the time. I had mere hours left before I needed to be up and ready for rehearsals before our concert later in the evening. I silently wished the night to last longer. I wanted to spend hours and hours in bed like this with her. I wished as hard as I could for time to slow.

Eventually, my mind grew tired and my eyelids felt heavy. I stopped making my own wishes and started wondering what hers had been when she released the balloon earlier. I wanted to know what her wish was so I could make it come true. Beneath the duvet, I snapped my finger quietly. I smiled to myself; I hoped my snapping power would be powerful enough to make sure she gets what she wants for a change.

____________

{Kate's Point of View} 

I studied the floor beneath my feet. It was pulsating to the sounds of instruments, fireworks, singing, screaming. I could feel the vibrations rattling my body and distorting my vision. It shook my hands and made me feel unsteady on my feet. I could already hear my ears ringing from the roar of the concert. Everything was so intense: the sounds, the sights, the emotions.

Before, I had been a mere observer of the magic of One Direction performances. I had been in tune with the behind-the-scenes work of the band. I had seen concerts from VIP seating above the crowd. This time, I had been invited to remain backstage during the entire concert. And I felt like I was immersed in it all.