Chapter 76

Because I am a day late with updating, here is a double update. Thank you for reading, voting, and commenting!

{Kate's Point of View}

My fingers drummed against the surface of my desk as I stared absentmindedly out the window of my office. I could see an airplane flying in the distance among fluffy autumn clouds. The door to my office opened and I turned to see one of the new interns standing nervously in the doorway.

"Hi," I said.

"Hello, um, Mr. Carter wanted you to sign off on this proposal for the Zayn launch." The intern held up a piece of paper.

"Bring it here," I waved.

The proposal was just a few lines detailing the intention for the party. Preliminary launch party details had been established including location, date, and estimated guest count. There was a single line on the bottom asking for my signature and the date. I signed my name neatly and paused. "Do you know the date?" I asked.

"The second of November," the intern responded politely.

"It is?" I gaped at the confused girl.

"It is," she said, surprised by my response.

"Oh," I shook my head, "it just seems like October flew by!"

I wrote the date beside my name and handed the paper back to the intern. My insides were churning. It was the second of November, meaning the One Direction world tour had come to a close earlier that day in Sydney.

"Hey!" I called after the intern about to exit my office. "Could you please tell Mr. Carter that I don't feel well and that I'm going home for the day? And please tell him that I will be back tomorrow."

"Of course! Feel well soon."

"Thank you." I searched my desk for my phone.

Me: I'm not feeling well. Can you come pick me up from work?

Eli: I'm on my way.

I collected my handbag and a few files to take home from work. My mind went hazy and my palms grew sweaty with thoughts of tour ending. In a short amount of time, Harry would be returning to London. He would inevitably be creeping back into my life just when I was getting used to the idea of him being out of it. With Harry back in London, the media and fans would expect to see us together. We could no longer use the excuse that he was in elsewhere while I was in London. Things were about to get more hectic.

____________

Eli's SUV was parked in front of my building with lunch hour traffic honking uselessly through a gridlock on the street. He was leaned against the side of the SUV coolly like I had seen him doing countless times before. Eli turned to open the passenger door for me. When the door was fully opened, a realization pierced me like an arrow with such ferocity that I nearly let out a scream.

Blood pumping, vision blurring, fists clenching. I froze on the walkway, which forced pedestrians to walk around me. Eli turned his attention back to me. He waved his hand expectantly, completely unaware that I was close to combusting. With the force of every fiber in my body, I took the remaining steps to Eli.

"What exactly is your job, Eli?"

"Excuse me?"

"The first time you showed up to drive me to work at Hendrix and Carter after my breakup with Harry, you wouldn't tell me why you were there. You said to get in the car. When I asked why you were driving me when I no longer worked for the management team, you said you were simply doing your job. I didn't ask again, but I'm asking now, Eli. Why are you picking me up from work? Why are you on call for me? Why do I still have a body guard when I am neither dating a celebrity nor working for one?"