Chapter 84

{Kate's Point of View}

A full moon was rising outside the large windows of Harry's townhouse. I could see it through the bare branches of the nearby trees. The wind's howl was muffled by the walls of the house. The soft crackle of the fireplace was background noise as I sat on the sofa with a blanket wrapped tightly around me. Harry was crouched over a small stack of DVDs.

"Nothing scary," I pleaded.

"Come on!" Harry turned around and faced me. He held one DVD in his hand.

"I hate scary films," I whined. Truthfully, they petrified me. No amount of reminding myself it was all fake could fight off the terror. I was notorious for screaming during horror films and I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of Harry.

"It's Halloween, love. It's sort of required to watch a scary film." He walked up to me and leaned down so we were eye level. "I'll protect you from all the scary monsters," he taunted in a low, teasing voice.

"You picked the scariest vampire film!"

"It's not that bad."

"Fine," I huffed.

Weeks ago, James Corden had called Harry to personally invite him to his Halloween party. A new club was opening downtown and James was throwing a massive party to celebrate. Many celebrities were on the guest list including all of One Direction. Louis, Liam, and Niall had already promised to go, but Harry had declined. Tour had just ended and Harry wanted to spend time with me alone. So instead of attending the biggest Halloween party, we were arguing over which film to watch.

Harry sat on the sofa beside me. I cuddled up to his side as he kicked his feet up on the coffee table. He wore slim fitting Nike sweats and a Green Bay Packers t-shirt. He was warm compared to the cold October night I was trying to protect myself from with the fleece blanket. The beginning credits started and scary music began playing. The quiet lull of a cello already had me cringing as I braced myself for the first scary scene. Harry wrapped his arm around me and I saw the amused smile playing on his lips.

I tried my best not to scream during the film. I flinched, gasped, and hid my face in Harry's shoulder countless times. Harry hardly batted an eyelash at even the scariest parts. I could feel my heart rate speed up as the music changed to usher in another terrifying scene. I grabbed Harry's thigh tightly and braced myself.

"Pause it!" I shrieked.

"What?" Harry grabbed the remote and paused the film.

"I just need a snack," I shrugged innocently.

"Love, we're at a good part. Wait another minute," he reasoned.

"I'll be quick!" I leapt from the sofa and walked quickly in the kitchen.

I was thankful for a reprieve from the vampire-ridden horror film. It had been all teeth and blood so far and I was nervous just thinking about having to return to the sofa to finish it. I walked to the refrigerator and looked around for something to eat. I didn't really feel like anything, but I had to finish out my charade of needed a snack during the film. I heard the film start again. Harry had obviously lost patience.

A bowl of freshly washed grapes was waiting on the second shelf. I reached up and took it. I scanned the rest of the shelves for a bottle of water, but couldn't find one. As I stepped backward to close the door of the refrigerator, I backed into something solid. Hands grabbed my waist, the bowl of grapes hit the floor, and I let out a scream.

Hot lips pressed against my neck. I let out a few shaky breaths as I pushed my fingers through familiar hair. "You scared me," I breathed.

"Did you think I was a vampire like from the film?" Harry mumbled against my shoulder. He pushed my t-shirt off my shoulder. Harry began kissing down my shoulder slowly. His hands wrapped around my waist and pushed me against the refrigerator doors.