Chapter 61

August waned; it's warm weather and cheery attitude turned into September's cool weather and children dragging their feet back to school after summer holiday. The sun spent most of its time hiding behind passing clouds. The daily temperature had dropped until a jacket was necessary after four in the afternoon. But what had me out of sorts was not the change in climate, but the fact that Harry had returned to London for the two-week tour break.

I woke up with a feeling of dread. Somewhere in the city, Harry Styles was going about his day completely independent of me. He was likely making breakfast or working out. Later, he would probably have lunch with an old friend. He would be seen going to a club or taking a group to dinner. I would go to bed with a mass of text messages from unknowing mutual friends asking why he hadn't been with me. The thought made me want to remain in bed, but I couldn't. It was Louis' big day.

I readied myself with black skinny jeans, a football t-shirt Louis had given me for the event, and a jacket. I didn't want to draw too much attention to myself at Louis' charity football match. I had no desire to answer questions about why Harry hadn't been seen with me. I didn't need photographers stalking me. I called Eli and asked him to pick me up to take me to the match.

While waiting for Eli, I collected my mail from the mailroom in the lobby of my building. I had a magazine waiting along with a single piece of mail. It was a white embossed envelope with my name printed neatly on the back. I tucked it under my arm and returned to my flat to open it.

Laura Meacham and Miles Ravston request the honour of your presence at their wedding ceremony on September the twenty fourth...

I couldn't read another word. My jaw was nearly on the floor. Laura was getting married? I hadn't realized she was dating anyone. I also couldn't picture anyone falling in love with the contemptuous Laura. I kept reading and felt my eyes getting wider with each word. Laura's wedding ceremony and reception were in Los Angeles, California.

"Kate?" Eli let himself in my flat. I heard him walk through the living room and into the kitchen where I stood gaping at the wedding invitation. "Are you ready to go?"

I looked up at Eli. "Yes! Yes, sorry. Let's go." I put the invitation back in its envelope and it left it on my kitchen table.

____________

Eli walked with me through the tunnel and to the football pitch where news reporters, charity coordinators, volunteers, children, and players were scattered about. The stadium seats were filled with spectators already cheering on the two teams. The pitch itself was a vibrant green and the day was capped with greying clouds overhead.

I spotted Louis near the center of the pitch with his foot planted on the top of a ball, holding it in place as he talked with some teammates. His back was to me, but his name was spelled across his back over the number twenty-eight. The long sleeves of his shirt were pushed up above his elbows and I could already see grass stains marking the white fabric of his shirt and shorts and the exposed skin on his arms.

"Kate!"

I turned to see a blur of blond boy in black warm-ups. "Niall," I giggled.

"Good to see you." He pulled me into a strong embrace. He smelled of freshly trimmed grass.

"Good to see you, too."

"Look, there's something I've been dying to tell you. It's been on my mind for weeks now and I think you'll want to hear it. It's sort of important. It's actually about—"