The Fire Within (Raph X Reader)

Word Count: 1118

You sat on the floor of the dojo with your legs crossed and your back straight. You watched intently as Leo and Raph sparred. Finally, Leo fell to the ground; Raph had won. Leo got up and took a seat next to you. "You did pretty great," you complimented him, trying to make him feel better for his loss.

Raph's green gaze swept over his brothers, stopping on you. "(Y/n)," he said with a smirk, "think you can beat me?"

You stood immediately and smiled devilishly. "Is that a challenge?" Raph nodded. "You're on!" You lunged forward without hesitation, swinging your fists and feet swiftly while dodging Raph's.

Finally, your work paid off, leaving Raph on the ground as you stood over him in victory. "Alright, that is enough for today," Master Splinter spoke calmly. He turned to his sons and continued, "(Y/n) fights with passion, and that let's her become one with her skills. It would be wise of you to learn to be as passionate."

The four turtles nodded in understanding. Then the five of them left the training room. "Well I'm tired, so I'm going to sleep," you announced, then left to your room.

Well, it wasn't really a room, more like a small section of Donnie's lab that he let you have. You checked to make sure no one else wasaround. Once you saw that you were alone, you stepped in front of your mirror. You pulled down the collar of her shirt, wincing at the sight of a large, purple scar that covered your chest.

Flashback

You screeched in pain as the Shredder stuck another long needle into your skin, inserting a glowing blue liquid; mutagen. "This is what you get for betraying me," he bellowed before leaving you. You wreathed in pain as the mutagen begin to coarse through your veins.

And just when you thought things couldn't get any worse, red and orange flames began to encase your. The pain of your skin melting was unbearable. And you would've died if it weren't for the strength the mutagen brought you.

Then, in the center of the unforgiving flames, you mutated. You became one with the element of fire. As you screamed out in rage, the flames grew higher.

You looked down at yourself. Your clothing had burnt off, but you weren't exactly naked. Where her body once was now were flames in the shape of her human body.

Then the anger left you and you felt an overwhelming sadness. You dropped to your knees and almost immediately, your flame-body turned back to skin. The pain returned, and you were bleeding. A lot. Much of your skin was scorched by the fire, leaving unmistakably flame-shaped wounds. You knew your beautiful skin would be scarred forever, tinted orange from the fire within.

And you cried. You hated crying, for it made you feel weak and helpless, like a child. But there wasn't much else you could do. So you let the tears flow.

End of Flashback

Just then, Donnie walked into the lab. You covered your scars back up as he looked at you. "(Y/n), there you are! I needed to talk to you," Donnie spoke excitedly. "Raph has been talking about you nonstop for the past ten minutes," he told you with a smirk.

You rolled your eyes. "Donnie, he doesn't like me," you sighed, knowing where Don was going with this. He often tried to boost your confidence by reminding you how interested Raph seemed in you. But you just couldn't believe tht anyone could fall for such a scarred girl with literal fire in her veins.

"You don't know that, I really think he does!" Donnie protested, then added quietly, "and...I think you like him, too."

You felt anger build up inside your core. I need to get out of here before I explode, you thought in fear, literally. See, the turtles didn't know about your elemental mutation yet. And you wanted to keep it that way. The story you'd told them was that you were in a house fire a few years back. That was why you were scarred, why you didn't have a house, or a family. Because how could you tell that that you were the reason those things were gone?

So without another word, you glared harshly at Donnie and bolted out of the sewers. You climbed to a high roof top and screamed. Your body burst into flames and your shreaks began to crackle like a camp fire. You blended in with the setting sun on the horizon.

You weren't angry at Donnie though; you were angry at yourself. "Why do I have to feel so attached to that stubborn, hot headed turtle?!!" You shouted. To you, love wasn't happy and endless, it was a ticking time bomb. And the longer it ticked, the bigger it's explosion would be.

You stayed on that roof, trying to cool back down. But you couldn't. And when the sun was gone completely, you heard a voice. You turned to see none other than Raph staring at you with wide eyes. Rain began to fall from the dark clouds above, putting out your fire.

You fell to the ground and quickly wrapped your fire-blanket around herself. It was something you kept in you bookbag at all times in the case of your clothes burning off. "(Y/n)..?" Raph croaked. But instead of running away from you, he stepped forward and pulled you into a firm hug.

"Raph, I--" you began, but Raph cut you short.

"Don't," he said softly. "I understand why you'd wanna hide this. You don't need to explain."

You looked up into his emerald eyes. Oh my God, you thought, Donnie was right...

"I was so worried, I saw you run outta the lair all angry," he explained, hugging you tighter, "I'm glad you're okay." You would've hugged back if you weren't trying to keep yourself covered with the blanket.

"I love you." The words left your mouth before you could stop them.

Raph pulled his head back and looked deeply into your eyes, a surprised look on his face. But his shock melted into a dreamy smile quickly. "I love you, too," he cooed.

You smirked and asked teasingly, "even though I'm a big ball of fire?"

"Especially because you're a big ball of fire," Raph laughed. Your heart soared. "Now come on, lets get you back to the lair," he insisted as he began to walk with you. "I'm sure Donnie could come up with some kind of suit that won't go up in flames for you, too."

Everything was going to be okay.