Ch. 4: My Demons

~We are one in the same. Oh you take all of the pain away~

Kiyomi's POV

A few hours and countless books later, Fenrir and I were no closer to finding out Naruto's secret than we were when we started. It was quite annoying, and I could tell that Fen was starting to get frustrated.

Finally, I decided to call it a night. 'Fen, let's go. We haven't found anything, and we've searched most of the records. Let's call it a night, and head home.'

'...' For a moment, I was afraid Fenrir would block me out, but then he answered. '... Fine. But take the long way home. I want to think in peace, and I can't do that if you're talking to Hachi.'

'That's okay. We can just go through the woods,' I replied, heading out of the library.

The first thing I noticed when we got outside was that it was much later than I thought it had been. The sky was dark, with only the moon shining above for light. The second thing was that I could smell a lot of ninja, jumping around the rooftops of the village.

Like they were looking for something.

Of course, I disregarded it at first. The shinobi here were strong, and could take care of whatever the threat was. It was no business of mine.

That's what I thought, until my sensitive nose picked up the familiar scents of Naruto and Iruka-sensei, along with what I thought was Mizuki-sensei's. And blood.

Now I was worried. None of the shinobi jumping around seemed to notice the smell, or the fact that it was coming from the training grounds.

Maybe the shinobi here aren't as good as I thought...

'I could have told you that,' Fenrir grumbled. I sighed.

'Now is not the time,' I thought sternly. 'I think Naruto and Iruka-sensei are in trouble, and it's Mizuki's fault. I knew he was bad news....'

'Well, this is as good a time as ever for you to try something out that I've been meaning to teach you for a while.' The wolf started to gather some of his chakra. It felt weird. Like a building pressure in my skull.

But before the feeling got to be unbearable, it disappeared. 'What- What did you do?' I thought to Fenrir.

'This is a special ability I can give to you. I know how good you are in Taijutsu, so this technique will be perfect,' Fenrir said, while starting to distribute some of the gathered chakra into my own chakra system. 'I'm going to let you take over part of my form. It will give you enhanced senses, along with better physical abilities.'

'Cool!' I thought excitedly. It did sound pretty neat. 'Let's do it!'

With a burst of chakra, Fenrir somehow managed to combine both mine and his. The sudden burst was unexpected, but I couldn't dwell on it for long. There was a strange kind of, shifting going on around my body, and it felt strange. Not wrong, but different.

It was over quickly. I opened my eyes hesitantly, and almost immediately closed them. It may have been late at night, but I could see everything! It was so detailed! I could see the scales falling off a butterfly's wings, I could see the smallest rustle of grass as a mouse wandered by, and I could see an owl circling high in the sky, watching that mouse.

My ears were also improved. That owl from before? I could hear it flapping it's wings. I could hear the minuscule noises the searching shinobi made as they traveled quickly. It was insane.