Ch. 8: Chemicals React

~You make me feel out of my element, like I'm drifting out to the sea, like the tides pulling me in deeper, making it harder to breathe~

Kiyomi's POV

After that decision, I decided to be a little more pro-active. So with help from Fenrir, I received the enhanced senses of my other form. Plus the ears and tail, but whatever. It's a Kekkei Genkai, remember? At least, that's what everyone needs to believe...

Using my now-stronger nose, I was able to sniff out Kakashi. He smelled... Different. Like book pages, metal, blood (more so than another person), and something tangy, but bitter. I just couldn't put a name to the last one.

I could also smell my other teammates as well. Naruto smelled like Ramen, of course. But also like ash, water, and... Food? Was he eating something?

Sasuke's main smell right now was dirt, which made it seem like he'd rolled around in the stuff. There was also that same smell as Kakashi, just not as strong. And something else, which was much more bitter, and hard. Not metal, though. Something else.

And Sakura... She was distinguishable because of the perfume she was wearing, which may not be the best idea for a ninja, but whatever. Her choice, I guess. She also smelled of leaves, probably from hiding in them for so long.

'Those scents you smelled on Kakashi and Sasuke... Those were basically emotions. Ones they feel almost constantly, so it's become a natural part of their scent,' Fenrir commented.

I raised an eyebrow mentally, if that's possible. 'Which emotions then? They didn't exactly smell happy.'

'I'm not sure. I think Kakashi's may be either regret or blame. And Sasuke's... Hatred? It's been a while since I've smelled something so pure. That kid is bad news, kid. You may want to stay away from him.'

'Don't have to tell me twice,' I replied wryly. There was just something about Sasuke that repelled me. I hadn't noticed it when I was younger, and had a crush on him, but as we got older, it became more and more pronounced. It just felt... wrong. Like something in him was twisted the wrong way.

Fenrir shifted himself, getting more comfortable in my mind. 'The alarm is going to ring any minute. If you want a bell, you'd better hurry up.'

Crap! I wasted too much time in that genjutsu! I jumped off, heading in the direction in which I smelled Kakashi's scent. He wasn't too far away, and I should get there within a few minutes.

I reached a clearing where Kakashi was crouching in front of something, talking. As I moved to get a better look, I saw that it was Sasuke's... Head? Why was he stuck in the ground?

'An Earth Style attack,' Fenrir said. 'The Headhunter jutsu, if I'm not mistaken.'

'How do you know?' I questioned, still watching the scene in front of me play out.

'I'm an Earth elemental,' the wolf said almost mockingly. 'I know basically everything about Earth Style attacks.'

I frowned. 'So if you're in me, does that mean that I can use Earth Style attacks?'

'Not sure, but I'm not too keen on finding out now. We'll play around later.'

Kakashi finished talking to Sasuke, and pulled out his book as he walked away. "They say that stakes that point out get driven back into the ground." He said, not looking back. "And Kiyomi? Please come out. I know you're there."

I tensed. How did he sense us? 'Fen, I thought you were hiding our chakra?'

'Nope. You said not to help unless you asked, so I didn't.'