Ch. 19: Get Off My Back

~Well, you think that you can take me on, you must be crazy. There ain't a single thing you've done that's gonna faze me~

Kiyomi's POV

Well, that was interesting.

Kakashi had called Team Seven out for a meeting on a bridge, and then surprised us with Chunin Exam recommendations. He'd told us that it was up to us, and then left.

Honestly, I'm not too sure I should take them. Even with Fenrir, I'm not a strong shinobi. The only reason I've survived this long was luck. A whole lot of luck, and very little actual skill.

I could see that Sakura was thinking the same thing as she walked after the boys, both of whom seemed excited for the upcoming fights. Well, they're certainly more excited than we are. Hormones, most likely.

'You'll be fine,' Fenrir said dismissively. 'I'm with you, after all.'

'You've said that before, and I've never been fine! I'm almost always knocked unconscious during an important fight! You're not helpful!'

'You would have been dead if I didn't teach you Yasei.'

'... That is true, but my point still stands!'

Fenrir didn't answer, and I sped up so I was walking beside Sakura. She looked surprised to see me, but keep her pace even.

"Are you nervous?" I asked quietly, not wanting to alert the boys up ahead that something was wrong.

Sakura nodded. "Yeah... I just don't think I'm at the same level as them. I won't be able to keep up."

I nodded. "I feel the same way. Those two... They've got a dream, a drive that makes them do their best in everything they do. But then there's the two of us. We just don't feel as strongly as them." Then I grinned slightly. "But that's okay. We don't need to match them. We just need to not slow them down."

"Kiyomi... Why are you nervous?" Sakura asked me honestly. "You're so strong, and you've got a demon and everything!" I didn't miss the slight flinch when she said demon. At least she's not letting it affect her that much. "You'd be fine in the exams!"

I shook my head. "No way. Have you even seen me fight? All you've seen is me getting knocked unconscious. I haven't done anything helpful. And honestly... I don't want to drag our team down if I get knocked out again."

Sakura didn't answer, and we just kept walking. I saw the street leading to Hachi's house, so I stopped walking, and said my goodbyes to the pink-haired girl quickly. She nodded distractedly, and then moved on.

'I hope she gets some confidence before tomorrow....' I said quietly to Fenrir as I opened the door to the house.

'I hope she comes tomorrow.' Was the reply.

'Why?'

'Remember your Genin test with Kakashi? It was all about teamwork. Who's to say this exam is any different?'

'... Crap.'

'Yep. But don't worry about the pink-head. She'll be there. Her love for pigeon will give her strength and courage.'

'... Whatever it takes, I guess,' I chuckled, and then started getting ready for bed. Hachi had taken to working in the Hokage building late at nights, so he wasn't home that often. Which was fine, as I wasn't in the house that often anymore.

'Get some rest. Tomorrow's a big day.'

======

The next morning I was walking to the building where the exams were held when I sensed something strange. There was an ominous chakra following me, and when I sniffed the air, there was an airy scent maybe ten feet behind me.