01; State Of Dreaming

Rowan spun around, confusion lacing her features as she stumbled through the dark, branches scratching her arms and rocks stabbing her bare feet. Her breathing grew ragged, sobs catching in her throat as she picked up her pace. She didn't know why she was so terrified, or why she was even in the preserve in the first place.

She looked over her shoulder, glowing eyes shining in the darkness and making her let out another sob. Rowan turned back around, crying out when her shins hit bark and leaving deep scratches as she fell, palms hitting the solid wood. She hands felt for her pocket, pulling out her phone and using the dim light to see. It was a stump, a huge one.

"This is where it started." A voice growled, the girl backing up in terror. "And this is where it ends."

"Rowan!" The girl was shaken awake, her screams ceasing into broken sobs. Her mother and father looked at her with terrified expressions, soothing hands rubbing her back as they held her close. "Are you okay?"

"I don't, I don't know." She shook her head, wetting her lips that were salty with tears. She gasped when a sharp pain hit her in the chest, repeating and intensifying.

"What's wrong?" Her mother asked, pulling away as she cried out, curling into herself. "Rowan?"

But she couldn't answer, only scream.

● ● ●

"Are you sure you want to go to school today?" Rowan looked up from her makeup bag to see her mom in the doorway, a worried expression on her face.

"Uh, yeah." She cleared her throat and shook her head, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "I'll be fine, I promise."

"Are you sure, I can call the-"

"Mom." She sighed, pulling out her concealer and dabbing it under her eyes where prominent dark circles stood out. "It's the first day of the semester, I can't miss it because of some stupid attack."

"Stupid attack?" Her mother blinked in shock, crossing her arms. "I thought you were dying last night, I almost took you to the emergency room."

"I'm fine, aren't I?" Rowan bit down on her bottom lip, rubbing in the concealer with a makeup sponge. She paused when she saw tears in the woman's eyes, her expression softening. "Mom, I'm okay."

"You weren't last night." Rowan opened her mouth to speak again, but her mother just shook her head. "I scheduled you an appointment after school for five thirty."

"Alright." She sighed, looking down as she pulled out her foundation. When she looked up again her mother was gone, leaving her alone. Rowan let out a long breath, running her hands through her hair with closed eyes.

She hated the way her parents looked at her after she had an attack, or after she woke up from that recurring dream. It was a look of pity, a look that you give when visiting someone in Eichen. All she could do was act like she was fine, smile and make them promise not to take her to the hospital, it was over and she was okay.

What they didn't know, was that she was far from it.

● ● ●

"You should talk to her." Malia's voice came from behind him, making Stiles jump.

"Son of a-" Stiles muttered, rubbing his face and turning to Malia and Scott. "And no, I can't just, talk to her."

"Why not?" The werecoyote gave him a confused look, a grin growing on Scott's face.

"Because he's afraid of her." He answered, earning himself a cold glare.

"I am not afraid of Rowan." He hissed, opening up his locker and stealing glances at the girl in question as she loaded books into her own locker.

"She moved here at the beginning of junior year, and he hasn't said one word to her, just stared from down the hall." Scott explained, Malia nodding in return.

"Like he's doing right now?"

"Hello, right here." Stiles waved his arms around, an annoyed expression on his face. "I'm just avoiding rejection, alright? She'd never go for me."

"You are kind of a weakling. You wouldn't stand a chance against anyone when fighting for dominance over her. I probably would." Malia said bluntly, the two boys staring at her in shock. "What? She's hot."

"Okay, Malia. We don't dominate human beings." Stiles sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Then how do you guys mate?" She asked, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion.

"We don't mate." He groaned, shutting his locker. "We ask each other on dates."

"Like he's doing?" They followed Malia's gaze to see a senior leaning against the lockers, a smirk on his face as he talked to her. Scott winced at his best friend's expression, patting him on the shoulder comfortingly.

They watched as Rowan gave him a bright smile, laughing at something he said.

"What's he saying?" Stiles whispered, looking between the two with supernatural hearing.

"He's inviting her to lacrosse tryouts." Scott replied, focusing on their words. "But she's already going because of yearbook."

"Now he's inviting her to get frozen yogurt afterwards." Malia continued, watching the girl nod in realization, her mouth in an 'o' shape. "But she can't go. She has an appointment."

With that Rowan shut her locker, tucking a hair behind her ear as she uttered another apology.

"He's asking her out again, but tomorrow." Stiles let out a small grown as Scott's words, his head falling onto his locker door. "She's turning him down because she doesn't date."

"See?" Stiles muttered, shaking his head against the cold metal. "Even if she didn't get hit on by seniors I still wouldn't have a chance."

"Well now she's walking over here."

"What?" Stiles asked, pulling away to see Rowan walking over with a wide smile on her face.

"Hey, Malia." She greeted, shifting her textbook to her other hip. "Coach was wondering if you needed a tutor for Econ, and if you didn't already have one, I could help you."

"Sure." Malia gave Stiles a triumphant look as Rowan scribbled down her number on a piece of paper and handed  it to her.

"Just text me to set up a time." She smiled again, looking over at the two boys. "Morning Stiles, Scott."

"Uh, hey." Stiles stammered, blinking at her. "Goodmorning."

"See you in math." She chuckled, finding his awkwardness amusing. Rowan brushed past them, imeadietly launching into conversation as someone else grabbed her attention.

"See? She knows your name." Scott patted him on the back, bringing him out of his shock.

"But I got her number, so," Malia held up the slip of paper with a shrug. "Dominant."

"That's not how it works."

________________________

Not edited.

Hmmm wonder why she had that freaky dream... Theories?

Also; Malia and Stiles are not together, and the werecutie can have whatever orientation she wants.

And aw, our bby has a crush. It's adorable.

Vote and comment ❤️

Xx