09; Birthright

"Wait, bound to Rowan's life?" Stiles asked, pointing to the unconscious brunette laying in front of them. "This one, right here?"

"Yes, that would be correct." Deaton nodded, adjusting her head into a more comfortable position and taking off his gloves.

"So, what does that mean?" Scott looked up at him expectantly, waiting for him to go on.

"It means she is extremely important." He explained. "Like I said, the anchor is the Nemeton's life force. If the anchor is destroyed, the Nemeton dies. Essentially, the drawing that you guys feel will be cut off and potentially every supernatural creature in Beacon Hills will be weakened."

"That's why she's worth so much." Lydia murmured, staring at Rowan curiously. Stiles's eyes widened in realization, catching on to what she was saying.

"Why would you attempt to go through every single creature on the dead pool, when you could get one and wipe them all out easily?"

"That means she's always in danger." Malia concluded, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Exactly."

"Liam, he said that she goes to the hospital constantly, right?" Lydia recalled, glancing over at Scott. "Call your mom."

"Yeah," Scott nodded, pulling out his phone and dialing his mom's number. She picked up on the third ring, and he put it on speaker phone. "Hey, mom?"

"What is it honey?"

"Do you know a patient, Rowan Sinclair? Gallagher, maybe?"

"Yeah, is this," A door shut on the other line, her voice becoming hushed. "Is this a supernatural issue?"

"It is."

"I was actually thinking about telling you. I have her file right here." She flipped through some papers, clearing her throat before speaking again. "She's been having these strange attacks, and they're described as extremely painful, like she's dying. And Scott, the first one-it was the night Allison died."

● ● ●

"So, what do we do now?" Stiles chewed on the skin next to his thumbnail, glancing between Deaton and Rowan.

"We wait until she wakes up, and then-"

They all looked down when Rowan shifted on the table, her face crumpling in fear and pain. Her breathing became labored, murmuring to herself.

"What is she saying?"

Scott leaned closer, listening to her whispers.

"This is where it ends, this is where it ends, this is where it-" Rowan sat up abruptly and took a sharp breath, looking around with wide eyes. "Don't touch me, please. I don't know what the hell you are, but leave me alone."

"Miss Sinclair, I know you're scared, but you need to calm down." Deaton spoke in a calm voice, holding out a hand. "You know me, I took care of Aries."

"Aries is dead." She blinked bluntly, looking around the room. "Someone tell me what's going on."

"You're here so we can help you." He soothed, glancing around the room. "I can tell you why you've been having your attacks."

This caught her attention, Rowan swallowing nervously as she clenched her jaw.

"When is the last time you had one, be honest."

"Yesterday." Her voice cracked, the girl wetting her lips. "I had one yesterday."

● ● ●

"So, I'm a tree?" Rowan asked slowly, tilting the jar of mountain ash in the light.