14; Forty-Five Minutes

Rowan poked her head into the hall, listening to her mom and dad talk in the kitchen. She bit down on her cheek nervously, holding her bag to her chest as she tiptoed towards the door.

"I don't think so, you're staying in."  Rowan let out a long sigh and turned around to see her mother standing there, arms crossed. "Not after the other night."

"Mom, I'm fine." She groaned, looking up at the ceiling in annoyance. "It was just a cut."

"Why were you even in that nut house?"

"Evelyn-" Her father scolded, shaking his head.

"I was visiting a patient." Rowan swallowed nervously, already dreading her mother's reaction. "Charlotte Gallagher. I was uh, I was visiting Charlotte Gallagher."

Evelyn looked like she had just been smacked across the face, her mouth dropping open and a surprised gasp escaping her lips.

"Now if you don't mind," She cleared her throat, holding up her keys. "I'll be going. Mom."

"You take one step out that door, you'll be grounded until you graduate."

Rowan didn't hesitate opening up the door, stepping outside and slamming it promptly behind her.

"Let's just hope I live to see graduation."

● ● ●

"Is three enough?" Rowan asked, setting her laptop on the table with the two others and looking up at Stiles.

"It depends on how many cameras they have, but I think so." He nodded in confirmation, his eyes flitting to the outline of the bandage under her sleeve. She just nodded, signalling to him she was fine.

"Are we really doing this?"  Liam asked nervously,  tapping on the table.

"We're doing it." Scott nodded. "Tonight."

"But isn't it kind of dangerous?"

"Yeah, it's incredibly dangerous." Stiles confirmed, holding onto the edge of the table. "And borderline idiotic."

"Have you guys done something like this before?" Liam's persistent questioning seemed like it was never gonna end.

"Something dangerous or something idiotic?" Stiles asked, but Rowan had a feeling they did a substantial amount of both.

"I think it's a yes to both." Kira voiced Rowan's thoughts, the kitsune seeming the most anxious.

It made sense, seeing as her boyfriend was going to be pretty much dead.

"You don't have to be a part of it if you don't want to." Scott assured, looking at Liam with a concerned expression.

"I'm not scared."

"Then you're borderline idiotic." Stiles chuckled, grabbing his shoulder. "If we do this, we don't know what's coming for us, you know that right?"

"How do we even know somethings definitely coming?" Kira questioned, frowning.

"Because the tape from Garrett's bag said visual confirmation is required." Scott explained, not meeting her eyes.

"Creepy scientist guy said the same thing." Rowan added, rubbing her forehead. "He said he couldn't get pain until he had proof we were dead."

"So the idea is, what if you kill someone on the Deadpool, and you can't send proof?"

"You don't get paid."

"But how does that get us any closer to the benefactor?" Liam argued, looking around at them.

"He still needs to know of his target is really dead." Scott sighed, the tension and anxiety growing in the room.