04; Valuable

"It's not her."

"Stiles, her name is right at the bottom." Lydia sighed, pointing at the computer. "Black and white."

"Just because it says Rowan, doesn't mean it's her." Stiles crossed his arms as he fought his case. "Besides, it's says Gallagher. Not Sinclair."

"Stiles, I know you like her, but-"

"Scott, that's really not the point here." He snapped, waving his arms around. "The point is, what happened the last time we thought someone was a supernatural being and wasn't?"

Everyone looked towards Liam sheepishly, who nodded.

"She's Mason's neighbor." Liam piped up. "She seems normal, she just goes to the hospital a lot."

"Why?" Lydia's eyebrows furrowed slightly as she looked back at the laptop.

"I don't know." The beta shrugged, a borderline clueless look on his face. "Not my neighbor."

"Let's just settle this, alright?" Scott suggested, gesturing towards Lydia. "Google it."

"Google?" Malia muttered, only to have Stiles shush her quietly and pat her shoulder.

Lydia let out a huff of air and brought up a tab, her nimble fingers typing into the search bar, Rowan Gallagher Beacon Hills. She paused for a moment and gave Stiles a wary look, only to have him wave for her to continue. She pushed enter, expecting a newspaper clipping about scholar achievements or even a Facebook profile, but instead received a decent amount of news articles. She clicked on the first one she saw, pursing her lips as she read through it.

"Just three days after her birth, infant Rowan Gallagher was found in the middle of Beacon Hills preserve by a couple on an early morning hike." The strawberry blonde read off, fully aware of all the eyes on her. "Mother Charlotte Gallagher was taken into custody and tried for child abandonment, but has been recommended to Eichen House after plead of insanity. "She was meant to die out there. The Nemeton, it should have worked." Gallagher repeated these words countless times as she was dragged out of the courtroom, leaving the town of Beacon Hills in shock."

A heavy silence filled the room, the pack struck by the mention of the same tree that had practically torn away the sanity of two of the teens standing there, one more than the other. Lydia cleared her throat and continued.

"The Gallagher child has been transferred into hands of her saviors, due to the lack of remaining family. "We are so thankful to be given this opportunity, it fills our hearts to be able to take care of this beautiful child." Evelyn Sinclair states-"

Lydia stopped reading, everyone in the room looking at Stiles, a mixture of realization and defeat on his face.

"What?" Malia asked, her eyes darting between everyone as she was hit with waves of different emotions. "What does it mean?"

"It means Rowan is on the list."

● ● ●

"So the Walcotts were the first," Stiles began, looking around the room. "At least the first that we know about. Four murders. Sean, his brother, and their parents. They were killed by a professional assassin called The Mute. Weapon of choice; a military tomohawk."