10; Scholarly

"This is where it ends."

Rowan choked out a gasp as she sat up, looking around frantically. She coughed and ran her hands through her hair, shaking her head.

She froze when she took in her surroundings, her hands clutching the dirt underneath her. Rowan's breaths caught in her throat as she felt along the ground, her fingers tracing a thick root.

Squinting against the pitch darkness she felt for her phone, letting out a sigh of relief when she found it.

The screen illuminated her face, the numbers shining 3:17 am. She turned the screen to light up her surroundings, the dim light showing her one thing.

The Nemeton.

● ● ●

"Where's Lydia?" Kira asked, glancing along the line as they waited.

"She took it her freshman year." Stiles answered, leaning against the row of lockers. "Just like Rowan took it her sophomore year."

"What are you doing here then?" She questioned, the brunette taking a sip of her coffee before responding.

"Volunteering." Rowan yawned, shifting her weight to her other leg. Sleepwalking to a stump in the middle of the night and wandering back home kind of drains a girl. "I'm behind on community service hours."

"Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia's tone was hopeful, the girl straightening up as she looked between her friends.

"You studied harder for this than any of us." Scott assured, the werecoyote rolling her eyes in exasperation.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good."

"Well." Rowan interjected, Malia staring at her.

"Well, what?"

"It's do well, not good." Stiles explained, only irritating her more.

"Oh god!" She smacked her hand on her leg, frightening the spastic teen.

"You're doing this." Scott kept his voice low, making sure no one else around heard. "Because when we're trying not to die, we still need to live. Now if I survive high school I'd like to go to college. A good college."

"Rowan?" Ms.Martin stuck her head out of the classroom, Rowan waving in response.

"I gotta go, you'll all do great, okay?" She gave Malia a comforting smile and patted Stiles on the shoulder before making her way towards the front of the line and into the classroom.

"Miss?" She turned to see the creepy Chemistry teacher looking at her expectantly, nodding towards the ink pad.

"I'm not taking the test." Rowan shook her head, walking past his desk and grabbing the cellphone bags just as students started filing in. "Sorry Scott, phone in the bag. You'll get it back after."

Scott nodded and slid it into the Manila envelope, Rowan sealing it and adding it to the pile before collecting others. She bit down on her lip to hold back a laugh when Stiles dropped off his phone, pencils in his mouth and behind his ear.

"Please do not open the text booklet until you are instructed to do so. This test is two hours and ten minutes; There will be two 25 minute critical reading sections, two 25 minute math sections, and an essay writing portion that will last thirty minutes." As the teacher droned on, Rowan was growing even more glad she had already been through this. "There's supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam, not just one teacher and a student."

"I know." Natalie sighed, an apologetic look on her face. "It's coach, he's not exactly punctual. Um, let me just try him again."

She left the room for a few minutes, returning just as quickly. "I can't find him, but Mr.Yukimura is upstairs grading papers, do you want me to try him?"

"We have to start. We're going to have to ask for necessary assistance during the first break." Natalie nodded, the man starting the timer. "You may now open your test booklets and begin."

The test had been running smoothly until one of her classmates collapsed, Rowan rushing to her side. "Sydney?"

"Are you alright?" Ms.Martin asked in shock as Rowan helped her up, the older woman kneeling down as well.

"I'm okay." Sydney gasped, getting up and tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "I just got dizzy, that's all."

"How long have you had this?" The teacher questioned, turning her wrist to reveal the rash on her skin.

"I don't know.."

"Ms.Martin do I need to stop the test?" The man stood up, Natalie shaking her head.

"No, it's fine" She assured, letting Sydney sit down again. Rowan made eye contact with Stiles as Ms.Martin walked away, shrugging at his questioning expression. "Everybody stay in their seats, I'll be back in a minute. Nobody leaves the room."

All the students looked around in confusion when she left the room herself, only taking a few moments until they heard her screaming.

"Get back, no! Do not come in here get back outside!"

● ●

It wasn't long before the CDC came in their hazmat suits and started setting up quarantine, sending everyone into a silent panic.

"I bet they think it's small pox." Stiles whispered to the girls, Rowan sighing in response.

"Doubt it." She shifted where she was sitting on the desk, the boy looking at her in confusion. "Small pox was eradicated worldwide in 1979."

"We've only managed to eradicate two viruses in history." The chemistry teacher spoke up, gaining their attention. "The other was renderpest."

"It killed cows." Rowan shrugged, Stiles just blinking at her.

"So we should be comforted by that, right?"

"Unless it's something worse." He cut in, Rowan and Stiles sharing a look.

"Whatever it is, they're taking it pretty seriously." Malia spoke quietly, listening in to the commotion outside. "There's a lot of cars and trucks out there. Your dad's with them."

"Alright," Stiles rubbed his hands together, getting up and walking over to where the cellphones were kept. "I'm gonna call him."

"Don't bother." He paused, all of them looking over at the creepy teacher. "They would have shut off any access to all outside communication by now. No cell service, no wifi, no starting a panic. Looks like we're all gonna have to wait here and see what happens."

_______________________________________

Not edited

WHOOP LEGGO

VOTE AND COMMENT ❤

Xx