02; Douleur

"What's wrong with you?" Malia asked in a bored tone, Kira looking over with wide eyes.

"Me?" Her voice came out strained, gripping the lacrosse stick tightly. "Nothing."

"You reek of anxiety." She sighed, shutting her book. "And it's distracting. What's going on?"

"Scott and I sorta had this thing happen, but it wasn't much of a thing." Kira blurted as Rowan walked over, taking a seat next to Malia on the bleachers. "And now I'm starting to think it wasn't much of a thing, at all."

"What do you want it to be?" Malia asked while Rowan messed with her camera lens, pursing her lips in concentration.

"More." She sighed, resting her chin on the lacrosse stick.

"Then tell him." Rowan gained her attention, the girl shrugging and slipping the strap over her head. "If you really like him, take the chance."

"You think?" Kira shifted on the bench, looking at her with uncertainty.

"Mmhmm." She brought her camera up, snapping a picture as Stiles prepared to take a shot. She winced as he shot it towards the goal, the ball landing right into the goalie's net, deciding it was a good thing she hadn't gotten it mid shot.

"What if he doesn't like me back?" She asked timidly, the girl giving her a comforting smile.

"Then he's missin' out." She answered simply, taking another photo as the new freshman took his own shot, actually making it into the goal before the goalie could even move. She joined the rest of the bleachers in applause, not noticing the discouraged look on Stiles' face.

Scott moved to the front of the line, scooping up a ball and twisting his stick between his hands. Everyone watched in anticipation as the team captain took a shot, only to have it hit the side of the goal-not actually getting inside. Everyone except the three girls erupted into laughter, players shouting out teasing calls at him.

"It looks like it's not the only thing he's missing." Rowan said with a frown, sitting back.

"Is there anyone you have your eye on?" Malia piped up, the girl shaking her head.

"I uh, I'm trying to stay out of a relationship, actually." She shrugged, watching the freshman make another goal. "My last one, didn't really work out."

"What was his name?" Kira asked, leaning over so she could see her better.

"I don't wanna talk about it." She cleared her throat, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. The two girls both nodded in understanding, not dwelling on the topic and instead focusing on the tryouts.

Goal after goal was made by the freshman, while Scott and Stiles seemed to be doing everything except make a goal.

"Isn't the captain supposed to be one of the best players on the team?" Kira whispered as Scott threw off his gloves and walked towards Stiles. "Or good?"

They watched as the two bickered, Stiles making jerky arm movement and glaring at the freshman. The boys looked over as he made another goal, cheers and clapping echoing from both the field and the bleachers. Their angry stares were cut abruptly by a sharp whistle, their coach waving all the players over.

"Hustle up!" Coach yelled, the team jogging towards him as he pointed his whistle at them. "McCall, Stilinski. Grab the long sticks, you're covering goal for two on ones. Let's go! Line it up!"

The two juniors grabbed the correct equipment and stood on front of the goal, ready to take on their opponents. One of the freshmen ran forward and passed Stiles, only to have his stick knocked out of his hands and sending him into the ground.