13; I'll Run To You

From Tracy:
I've tried calling you 5 times?

To Tracy:
Family stuff, I'll explain later I promise

Rowan locked her phone and looked up at the gate, shifting her weight nervously before pressing the buzzer.

"I uh, I'm here to visit a patient?" She wet her lips, clearing her throat. There was a loud buzzing noise before the gates creaked open, Rowan glancing over her shoulder before hurrying inside.

For some reason it was much colder inside the institution than out, making Rowan regret not grabbing her coat. She walked over to the counter, tapping on the granite.

"Who are you here to see?" The woman behind the counter asked, her voice monotone as she slid the sign in sheet over to her.

"Charlotte Gallagher." Rowan replied and reached for the pen, only to have the woman take it back.

"Charlotte isn't allowed visitors." She stared at her, Rowan taking a deep breath.

"What about family?" She countered, dropping her driver's license on the counter. "I'm sure you know enough about your patient to know who her daughter is."

"Of course, Rowan." The woman forced a smile upon her face, returning the pen to her and dropping a basket in front of her for her belongings. "I'll have someone escort you to her wing."

"Thank you." Rowan scrawled her name in the slot with a shaky hand, before depositing her phone and wallet in the basket.

"This is Brunski." Rowan turned around to see a tall man standing behind her, just the look of him creeping her out. As soon as they were out of ear reach the woman picked up the phone, dialing a number. "She's here."

● ● ●

"She's pretty drugged up, so she won't hurt you." Brunski unlocked the door, letting her walk in. "Hopefully."

"Wait, what?" Rowan turned around, but Brunski had already shut the door.

She took a deep breath and turned around to face the woman who sat on the bed, staring into space. The resemblance was uncanny, from the moles to the shape of her face.

"Are you going to just stand there or are you going to say hello?" Charlotte spoke, startling her.

"Uh, hi." Rowan rubbed her hands together, unsure of what to say. "You probably don't know me, but uh-"

"You think I don't know my own daughter when I see her?" She turned her head, raising an eyebrow at her. "I'm not as duped up as they all think."

Charlotte reached over for her lamp and turned it upside down, unscrewing the bottom. She pulled out a plastic bag full of pills, giving her daughter a wry smile before putting them back.

"I'm sure you have a lot of questions."

"Most of them have been answered." Rowan pushed her shoulders back, straightening up. "Except for one. Why? Why did you leave me there?"

"Have you ever felt out of place?" She asked, looking down at her wrists. It was that moment that Rowan saw they were decorated with scars, more scarring than skin. "Completely and utterly alone because you were an outcast compared to everyone else?"