9

The bad times were truly, deeply, awful.

But the good times were irreplaceable, and they played over and over in my mind. Those moments were the ones that would tape over and erase the existence any bad memories from my consciousness.

Like when it was my birthday and he spontaneously showed up at my door. I opened it and he just gave me that same dimpled half-smile that took my breath away the first time and dangled his car keys in my face.

We drove to a quiet spot in the forest near the lake,  a place I would have hated to be and scared shitless without him there.

A lesson I now know is a place is only as special as the people you share it with.

We threw rocks in the water, his skimming and then sinking much further away than mine despite my forceful swings of my arms compared to the effortless flick of his wrist.

We talked about the sky and the grass and everything in between and he held me close like he was afraid I'd escape.

He tucked my hair behind me and kissed my temple. "Happy birthday baby."

That was it, he was an expert at saying exactly what I wanted to hear in the simplest ways. Even when I didn't know I wanted it.

I guess in a way he was a part of me I never knew I was missing.

But he always left me wanting more.

Authors Note: I'm not happy with this chapter but I promised myself to update everyday. So enjoy! ( and DO be excited for the upcoming chapters. Metaphorical fireworks **)