15

Skip back to the beginning, not the moment we met... that wasn't the beginning of everything.

There's no way meeting outside of school could have meant we'd end up like this.

It was a little after.
Our cinema dates had become a casual tradition, and it turns out there was a reason for them.

It was winter, we stood outside the cinema and I huddled myself in my coat. Our feet crunched in the snow as we traipsed under the dim sky.

It was like someone had thrown a big old blanket over the world, soft light only penetrating worn holes in the fabric.

I turned to him. "Can I ask you something?"

"You just did."

Ignoring him I continue. "Why are you always at the cinema or out somewhere?"

I never seemed to catch him sleeping in or watching tv in his room. He was always out doing something or mostly nothing.

He put his hands in his coat pockets and released a puff of air that billowed away in a cloudy smoke because of the sharp, cold air.

"To get away."

"From what?"

"Home."

That's all I got, but it was a lot more than he's ever told anyone else. I was satisfied, even though he spoke with such hesitance- I knew he had some kind of trust in me.

Still, his words made we worry for him. No one should have to feel like they don't belong to their own home, I'd wager he feels he didn't belong anywhere. Regardless, I didn't show my worry yet because I knew it would irritate him and chose to stay silent with a simple, accepting nod.

"What about you?" He says.

"What about me?" I scrunch my face up mockingly, I have lots of sleep ins- my own tradition.

He steps in front of me and turns so he's blocking my path, sticking me with his grey eyed gaze.

"A random guy asks you to come to the cinema on the weekend and you come? Why would you?"

I shrugged. "Why wouldn't I?" I pushed his chest a little, determining some space between us. "Besides, you're not a 'random guy'. I'd seen you at school loads of times."

He smirks. "You watch me at school then?"

I push his chest a little harder and he steps out of my way and we continue walking. "That's not what I meant."

He winked and nudged me so I lost my balance a little.

I tried to hold back a laugh. "You're an idiot, you know that?" I ask staring up at him.

"I know. So what does that make you?"

"A fool."

"A fool for me?"

"Yeah Silas... I'm a fool for you."

Authors Note: PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS A FLASHBACK CHAPTER OR YOU'LL BE HELLA CONFUSED NEXT CHAPTER lol. I hope this starts to make you understand their relationship a little bit more. This book doesn't really go in too deep about backgrounds and so on, it really is a focus on their relationship. Like a highlight reel. I think it's gonna be interesting to see how they will be interpreted differently by readers... anyway... see you next chapter (: