Insight #2

•Aspyn• (Age 7)

"You ready Aspyn?"

I looked into the mirror and squeezed my doughy cheeks, making sure this was real.

I adjusted the satin bow nestled above my fringe and nodded with a chubby grin. "Yep!"

Wilma, my social worker of four years, took my small hand gently and guided me to the play room.

When we reached the door my heart started to beat faster and my stomach hurt like when I'd eaten too much chocolate. I quickly let go of her hand and stepped back.

Wilma turned in confusion at the loss of contact, but upon seeing my nervous expression she smiled gently and kneeled down to my height. "It's okay Apsyn, take your time. There's no need to be nervous."

I gulped. "But..." I looked down. "What if they don't like me?"

She sighed. "Don't be silly. What's not to like?"

I summoned up the courage to continue and marched forward, pushing the door slowly. I hooked my hands over the edge and peeked out of it, retreating when I saw the couple on the other side.

I took a deep breath and then opened the door again and awkwardly stared at the pair.

They were a middle aged couple with big, kind smiles and aged skin. The woman had long, blonde hair and pretty blue eyes.

She was the first to speak. "Hello! You must be Aspyn!" Her voice sounded like it was made from frosting and candlelight.

I was too nervous to reply and simple continued to stare in baby faced awe.

The couple glanced at each other nervously and the man squeezed his spouses hand encouragingly.

"I'm Flora, and this is my husband, Theo." I liked their names, they suited their kind eyes.

"I'm Aspyn." I whispered, twiddling my thumbs, forgetting that she already knew.

Something seemed to light up inside them, they were suprised by the response and suddenly perked up.

My nerves began to calm down, and I felt an odd comfort settling in. Maybe it was really meant to be.

Flora beamed at me.
"I like your bow Aspyn."

They may not have been blood, but soon enough, they were family.

Authors Note: I'm trying to show why Aspyn was very self independent in school work and takes on a lot of responsibility, especially when it comes to Silas. This is the beginning, hopefully it'll become more apparent in the rest of the insight chapters.