26

The next day I skipped school and spent the day at the hospital. Thankfully, Silas was too out of it to notice, but I knew I'd get an earful later.

Emma had called me immediately after school, knowing it was odd for me to be absent. She suspected I was feeling down and offered to take me out to my favourite cafe, The Red Rose, to cheer me up.

It was a quaint little red bricked place, tucked away on the corner, five streets away from school. The place always smelled sweet and warm, like a freshly baked sponge cake and sugar frosting.

I would take a book or some revision and sit by the back window that bathed in the morning sunlight and sipped coffee until the shade had started to set.

I suddenly longed for the cherry oak tables and and frothy cupcakes. I was a sucker for peaceful silence, and I hadn't had that in a long time.

Silas snored softly and turned in his sleep with a frown on his face. In fear of waking him up, I cupped my hand over my mobile and lowered my voice.

"I came down with a cold, I didn't want anyone to catch it so I didn't come in. Sorry, I forgot to tell you guys, I didn't mean to worry you." The lies slipped easily off of my tongue.

I waited in suspense for her reply. "Oh. Well that's okay, we'll catch up some other time. Rest up okay? Or I'll drag your ass to school."

I faked a laugh, feeling guilty for being untruthful. "Yeah, I will. I'm gonna go to sleep, but I'll talk to you soon."

She bid me goodbye and I hung up the phone, turning my attention to Silas.

I was startled to see he was awake, his striking blue eyes piercing mine. "Why did you lie?" His voice was grainy and weak but I could still sense the tension in it.

I shrugged it off nervously. "She wanted me to go to this stupid party. I didn't feel like it so I just said I was ill to let her down easily."

Who wasn't I lying to anymore?

He frowned. "You used to love parties."

I had flashes of me taking a grumpy Silas to a party, ignoring his complaints and forcing him to stand while I dance and laughing when he got mad at any other guy being closer to me.

"Yeah." I whispered, looking into his eyes. "Used to."

He didn't say anything after that, he quickly drifted back to sleep. That's how he always was lately, there one minute and gone the next.

It was unsettling to see this side of him.
But it was better than not seeing him at all.

Authors Note: Okay so I counted wrong last chapter, NOW there's 4 chapters left. 30 in total! This was one was a little anti climactic, but fear not, the next chapter is a little longer and a lot more... dramatic?? Idk just wait for it lol.
Also, I don't expect for this book to get that many reads- I don't think it will actually, but my goal is atleast get 500 reads (which, we're almost at ^_^). I know that's really nothing compared to some books, but I think that's all I can expect for this one and I'm content with it
Anyway... Stay tuned!!
-Mini