12

One late night, we were sat at Silas's kitchen table, spirals of smoke dancing around the room and a worn deck of cards split between the two of us.

"Silas... why are we together?" I asked randomly, throwing a 6 of hearts down onto the pile scattered across the table.

He shrugged, drowning in the fumes from his cigarette. "We see the world the same way."

"How's that?" I press, wanting to get as many answers as I could from him.

His green eyes sparkled. "It's just somewhere we were put and told to make choices."

He flicked a card onto the messy pile and I put another one down slowly, readying myself for the next question.

"So... where were you yesterday?" I asked cautiously, I had been getting worried about him disappearing more and more often.

There was something in his eyes for a second, or was I imagining it? "What?" He asks, as if he hadn't heard me at all.

But the thing with Silas is he never misses a beat. He's always five steps ahead, which is why I knew he was hiding something.

Hell, he was probably hiding a lot from me.

I sighed with fatigue, wanting to question him further. "I'm tired of this."

He chucked his card down. "Tired of what?" He says with a frown. "Of me?"

I slammed the next card down. "Snap."

"Don't avoid the question Aspyn."

I laughed sourly. "You're such a fucking hypocrite."

I turned away when he tried to put a hand on my cheek.

The only sound in the room was the smoke sheathed from his burning cigarette. "I don't want to play this game anymore." I whisper.

"We can play something else."

I chucked my deck down. "I'm not talking about the cards Silas!"

"Let it go Aspyn."

I shake my head at him stubbornly, pleading him with my eyes. "No. Tell me where you always go. I need to know."

"Nowhere."

"Tell me."

"Nowhere."

"Why can't you just tell me-"

"-Fucking nowhere Aspyn!" He shouts, chucking all of the cards onto the floor.

"I deserve better than this." I say with a lump in my throat.

"Then leave."

Tears form in my eyes as I turn to Silas in disappointment, desperate for him to return my gaze.

He doesn't even look at me.

"You don't mean that."

I waited for him to take back his words and apologise and then we'd go back to normal, like always.

"I do."

The room suddenly felt empty, and I shivered involuntary at his uncouth words. I swallowed hard before nodded my head slowly and angrily, grabbing my stuff from the chair I was sat on.

I stalked out the door without so much as a goodbye and walked home huddled in the biting cold, haunted by his words.

Authors Note: okay i promise next chapter will be happier, sorry for all the gloom and doom lol