20

The startled look on the receptionists face when I badgered her for Silas's room number reminded me to breathe and stay calm.

Ward 6.

The sound of my heavy footsteps on the tiled floor haunted me as they echoed through the empty corridor, my hands started shaking with nerves at the thought of seeing him like this after all this time.

Two months it had been.

I took a moment before my buzzing myself into the hospital ward, looking side to side for his room. Room ten the receptionist said, I pressed my hands against the wood and pushed the door open hesitantly.

"Aspyn?"

He was sat up in the bed with a grim expression, as if even the air was too loud and giving him a headache. I guess he was still a little drunk.

There was nurse who was adjusting the wires that poked out of his wrist and hooked up to a beeping machine. "Aspyn Nylon?" I recognised her voice from the phone.

I was unable to speak properly, so I nodded. Silas didn't say anything either.

"May I have a word?" The nurse asked.

"Sure." I whispered and followed her outside the door, glancing through the window at Silas who was staring back at me blankly.

"What's wrong with him?" I ask.

"He suffered damages to his ribs and broke his arm but it could have been much worse." She says calmly.

I sighed, relieved. "So he's going to be okay then?"

She bit her lip, she looked as nervous as I was a minute ago. "Not exactly. I'm afraid his history of drinking has damaged his liver quite severely."

I choked on the air between us. "What... what does that mean?"

She turns her head to the window and gave Silas a sympathetic look. "We'll have to monitor him overnight and see how he recovers. We'll run some tests but the most important thing is for him to stay healthy and sober to reduce the risk of liver failure."

"Reduce... liver failure." I repeated.

"The damage he's already done cannot be undone, he can only maintain his condition."

"Will he be okay?" I asked once again, I felt like she was avoiding the question.

"We're doing everything we can and as long as he stays sober, his chances remain mainly positive. It's mostly up to him to stop drinking."

She made me sign a few release forms and other papers before assuring me he was doing well for now before retreating.

I entered the room again, my heart feeling heavy.

"You look like you just saw someone die." Silas said.

I laughed weakly.

"For all I knew, you could have been."

He raised an eyebrow. "I'm surprised you even came, after all this time, you still care."

I felt a jab to my stomach and glared at him. "Are you stupid? I will always care, even when you don't deserve it."

There was a change of atmosphere in the room after that, I don't think he expected that response.

He looked guilty. "I really don't deserve you." He sighed. "I don't know why you bother."

I ignored his statements and walked to his side. "How are you feeling?"

He sat up a little an winced. "I'm fine." He lied.
He never liked to be fussed over.

It reminded me of his constant indifference. Why did he put me down at his emergency contact?

"Why am I here?"

"What?" He asks.

"We haven't seen each other for months and you put me as your emergency contact? What's wrong with you?" I ask. "You had me worried sick."

"I was... I was trying to make it better."

"You were trying to make what better?"

"Nothing. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have put your name down, it was unfair of me."

"Don't you dare try and block me out Silas. Answer the damn question." I had taken all I can for the night, I couldn't deal with his frustrating behaviour at the moment.

"You were the only person I could think of." He says in a smaller voice.

I didn't mean to let out a bitter laugh but my wounded ego couldn't help but be reminded of when he asked me to walk out of his life.
"I didn't think you cared about me."

He looked up at me with clenched teeth and furrowed eyebrows, grey eyes gleaming. "Are you stupid? I will always care."

Authors Note:
I think this chapter is pretty bad lol, but it's necessary for the story.
On other notes, I have a really bad sleeping pattern which is why I'm currently writing this so late at night, I should probably work on that. Apparently it's not healthy lol oops
-Mini