Prologue

The Dark Forest was quiet and still, the only noise coming from the chirping of crickets, and the croaking of frogs. Damp moss hung from dead tree limbs, and a raven flew up ahead. No cat wanted to live here. Only those who deserved their punishment lived here.

            Moonstar sat near the dark stream, watching as the raven flew past her. She growled as it flew by, looking back into the water below. In it she saw herself, the evil self, with glowing red eyes and unsheathed claws.

            For moons, Moonstar had tried to seek revenge. She had possessed cats, messed with StarClan's powers, even convincing a young she-cat to train with her, but alas, it had all failed. StarClan's powers were too much for a small she-cat like her.

            Moonstar wasn't ready to give up yet though. She needed to seek revenge of SnowClan and FoxClan, the clans that had betrayed her. She had a beautiful vision in mind, one that might work. All she had to do was convince some cat to listen.

            Moonstar looked around, wondering if any cats stood in this forest too. She knew only a few cats had showed up here after perishing in the battle. Her mate was here, as well as her daughter. But other than that, only a few other cats walked these very woods.

            "Perhaps if I speak to them, they shall agree with my plan," Moonstar said, walking away from the dark stream. She padded through the woods, wondering if any cat was nearby.

            She had to admit, the Dark Forest was quite lonely. She could barely get into the StarClan borders without being sent back to her homeland. She had remembered her mother with dark and cold eyes hissing at her, "You'll never belong in these woods. Only the good live here, not the malicious ones that have evil running through their veins."

            Moonstar had spat at her mother and run off back into the Dark Forest, but she still remembered the words. She remembered everything that had upset her. She remembered how her mother was too protective, she remembered those days when her mother had cherished Owlpaw more than her. She had remembered meeting Fang and allowing him to kill her mother for him. And then there was Blacktail, the cat she had killed her brother for. All of it had worked up to the battle that took place. That battle had been a failure though when the cursed cat, Lilywhisker, the daughter of Blacktail, had murdered her.

            "Murderer," Moonstar spat out of rage. She knew that she-cat deserved to be in the Dark Forest more than any cat.

            Back to her normal-self, Moonstar padded through the woods, knowing what she now had to do.

            "Hazelnose," she spoke, whispering her daughter's familiar name. "Hazelnose shall work for me."

            With those words, she disappeared back into the woods, as if she had never been there in the first place.