Chapter 25

The rest of the moon passed by in the blink of an eye, and as the full moon came closer, Hazelstar realized it would be a matter of a few sunrises before they'd have to attack. Leaf-fall had fully arrived, and Hazelstar knew they had to attack before half of the leaves had fallen. So far, nearly a quarter had.

            During the moon, Fire had strayed from Crystal, whose stomach grew. However, this didn't keep her from taking care of the rogues. Without Fire running after the she-cat, Hazelstar was able to get him to focus more on his deputyship if he were to lead one day.

            "And if you become leader," she would warn, though she guessed he would die before being placed in that position. "You must choose a noble cat to lead MoonClan. Remember, we have fierce she-cats in the clans. Moonstar would prefer she-cats to lead instead of stupid toms."

            Then Fire would nod vigorously before leaving to perform his chores.

            Snowflake had healed, almost. She had a few scratches left, but she was up and walking again, crying tears as she was reunited with her mate and kits. Hazelstar tried to imagine a scenario where Moonstar would've done the same, though she knew nothing like that had ever happened. Even when she had returned to her mother, Moonstar had drove her off shortly after in a  rage of fury.

            You could've been that mother with her kits in FoxClan, came her terrible thoughts. It was at this time now that Hazelstar shook away these thoughts that had haunted her since she had taken up the mission. She simply cast them aside with the flick of tail, knowing her loyalty belonged solely to the Dark Forest.

            "Hazelstar, do you wish to make an announcement?" came a call from her den.

            Hazelstar padded towards the entrance, Fire pacing by her door.

            "Yes, Fire. How has every cat been?" she asked as they walked outside, the cold air blowing against her pelt.

            "Rogues are better, apprentices too. But what if we're not good enough, Hazelstar?"

            She laughed in reply, one claw sinking into his foot.

            "Do not doubt the power of the Dark Forest," she warned as she came closer to the rock she stood at. As she looked back at the frightened Fire, she guessed that if they truly did win the battle (which they would) she'd assign a better deputy. Her mother wouldn't mind.

            "CATS OF MOONCLAN!" she yowled, watching as they quickly padded forward, bowing to their leader.

            "I only seek your attention. I do not wish to harm you," she interrupted, watching their scared emotions. After many moons, their fear had grown, especially after she had nearly murdered Snowflake in front of her own kits.

            "Nearly a quarter of the leaves have fallen, and I told myself we would attack when the first leaf fell. Well, I've pushed that back to attacking before half of the leaves fall, which will most likely be at the end of the next moon. However, the full moon is almost upon us, and it is at that time we will attack!"

            Yowls of agreement sounded from below her, excited expressions lighting up their dark camp.

            "When is the moon?!" a cat called.

            "The full moon will be in four sunrises," she announced. "Four sunrises is all we have. We shall attack the day the full moon shines. It will be the day of the Gathering."