Chapter 22

Hazelstar marched through the MoonClan camp towards the nursery. As the battle drew nearer, she realized they were in desperate need of more warriors, and it was time for the kits of Snowflake and Screechshade to become apprentices, even if they were barely three moons.

            Chatter echoed from the nursery, though as Hazelstar came closer, the den became incredibly silent, as if she had sucked all the chatter from the room.

            Hazelstar took a step in, watching as Snowflake and Screechshade looked up at her. Shard stood next to Snowflake, nearly shaking with terror.

            "Shard, could you tell me why you're not busy at the moment?" Hazelstar asked, turning towards the gray tabby.

            Shard gulped, then began to speak.

            "I was only visiting my mate and kits before patrol, Hazelstar. You understand, don't you?" he whimpered.

            "No, Shard, I do not understand," Hazelstar growled, beginning to circle around the tom. "When I ask you to do a job, you do it. I did not command you to visit your mate and kits. Snowflake can raise them herself. She doesn't need your assistance."

            "B-but," Shard began to argue, only to feel a piercing pain in his side as Hazelstar shoved her claw into him.

            Shard held a straight face, though Hazelstar could see the pain in his eyes.

            "Please, go and do your duties," she whispered. "And if I catch you here again, I can't say that your mate and kits will stay safe."

            Shard nodded vigorously and raced out of the den, leaving the others shocked.

            "Um, Hazelstar, it's nice to see you," Snowflake said.

            "Yes, yes, it's nice to see you, too," Hazelstar growled, refusing to make eye contact with the she-cat.

            "Can we help you?" Screechshade asked.

            "Yes, actually, you'll be much of assistance. I require your kits."

            "Excuse me?" Snowflake asked.

            Hazelstar turned and glared at the white she-cat. "Your kits are around three moons, are they not?"

            "I-I suppose so," Snowflake stammered.

            "And didn't we agree they'd train around this time?"

            "My kits are barely three moons," Screechshade argued.

            "The battle approaches, and warriors are needed. That is why I require them. Today, they will be made apprentices!"

            "No, I will not allow it!" Snowflake growled, standing up.

            "I'm sorry. What was that?" Hazelstar asked, taking a step closer to the she-cat. Her kits hid behind their mother, shaking.

            "You boss this entire clan around, you injure those like they mean nothing to you! These kits aren't needed for battle! We have plenty of rogues!"

            "Snowflake," Screechshade warned.

            "No! I'm sick of being bossed around by this she-cat. You should be too, Screechshade! Do you not see the evil she possesses?! Isn't this all silly to you as well?!" Snowflake growled.