Chapter 10

"Go order the patrols and bring more water to the rogues!" Hazelstar yowled at Fire. The tom nodded, quickly running off.

            It had been a few days since Moonstar's visit to Hazelstar, and she still had nightmares about it. She had always been terrified of her mother though, and she wondered what would happen if she ever stood up to her.

            Mothers were supposed to be kind and gentle, but not Moonstar. At a young age she and Chesnuttail had been taught to fight and upon escaping, Hazelstar thought she was free. She supposed it was her fault she got tangled into MoonClan business though after her exile from FoxClan.

            Hazelstar gazed around the camp watching Fang flirt with Screechshade. It was disgusting to look at, and Hazelstar turned away. She tried not to think of her deceased mate, Rockclaw, and her son, Treekit. Though she supposed he had a new warrior name by now.

            She knew that in only a few weeks they would be raiding the FoxClan camp and kidnapping her kin. She couldn't wait to see the terrified faces of her kin...but what if they weren't terrified.

            "No, they will be," she growled. She would be as cruel as Moonstar. She had to be.

            She decided to walk to the rogue camp. They all sat, chatting with each other. Some kits played around, some scurried up trees while others battled for fun. How could they enjoy life in this clearing? It had to be miserable for them.

            At the sight of Hazelstar, everyone fell silent. She slowly climbed up on a fallen tree, looking out at the members.

            "Greetings, rogues," she announced. "It's good to see all of you. Has my deputy brought you water?"

            There were small nods, and she nodded too, glad he had done his job well.

            "Very good. Now, unfortunately, you're going to have to squeeze in more. We're still in need of many rogues. Does any cat know of other rogue groups around?"

            There was a pause, and then a few cats stepped forward. One was a brown tabby tom with a long scar down his eye. Another was a gray tabby she-cat with bright yellow eyes. The last was a smaller black tom with white socks.

            "Good, good," she purred. "You there, go first!" she growled at the brown tabby.

            "There was a rivalry rogue group that ours would sometimes meet," the brown tabby explained. "They were located only a short distance from us."

            "Which rogue group are you from again?"

            "The one which that cat Crystal belonged to," he explained.

            "Crystal seems to work miraculous ways with the rogues," Hazelstar said to herself. "How many are in this rogue group?"

            "Thirty, maybe forty," the cat explained.

            "Perfect. Fire!" she hissed.

            Hearing her cry, the tom rushed towards her. "Yes, Hazelstar?"

            "We need to set up another search for rogues. Get Crystal and—"

            "No," Fire immediately said.

            "What did you just say?" Hazelstar growled, unsheathing her claws. "You will show respect to your leader!"

            Fire backed away slowly. "I-I mean, Crystal's been on so many trips already. Why not send another cat? These cats can do well," he suggested.