Chapter 20

Hazelstar awoke earlier in the morning for inspection. There had been no escape attempts, though she still wanted to see the progress of the captives.

            "Fire!" she snapped.

            The tom ran towards her, as he always did. He bowed quickly before waiting for her to give him a command.

            "I need to inspect the warriors," she growled.

            "They're just about to leave, Hazelstar," Fire explained. "How can I be of assistance?"

            "While I inspect, someone must be watching over the cats, correct?"

            "Yes, Hazelstar," Fire agreed.

            "Then do so!"

            "Yes, Hazelstar," Fire stammered, heading off to perform his duties.

            Hazelstar growled, watching as cats headed off into the forest for training. She hadn't seen the mentors training their apprentices, and now was the perfect opportunity.

            She headed into the woods, keeping her eyes open for cats training nearby. She had made no announcement that she was inspecting, so it would be a perfect opportunity to watch her clanmates.

            As Hazelstar continued to pad through the plentiful woods, she paused, hearing the sound of cats nearby. She pricked her ears and sniffed the air. There were definitely some MoonClan members nearby.

            She slowly crept in the direction of the sound, watching as she came towards a clearing. Shard stood with Rainwhisker, Treestep, and Chesnutfang. He frowned at the three and hissed at them, telling them to continue to practice.

            Hazelstar crept out of the shadows, making Chesnutfang gasp.

            Shard turned his head and nearly had the same reaction as Chesnutfang.

            "Hazelstar! I had not expected you!" Shard gasped.

            "No cat ever does," she laughed. "I'm here to check on how mentoring is going."

            "It would go better if these three learned how to fight properly," Shard growled.

            "Oh, they'll learn," Hazelstar murmured as she passed by Treestep. She flicked her tail by his throat, laughing a little.

            She turned back to Shard who watched her with curiousity.

            "May I watch?" she asked.

            "Of course," Shard said, though he did not seem too pleased with her spectating. Hazelstar sat down, watching the four.

            "Well, go!" she commanded.

            Shard nodded. "Yes, well, we're practicing killing blows. Treestep, would you like to present what you've learned?"

            "No," Treestep growled.

            "Don't you want to make your mother proud?" Shard asked, unsheathing his claws.

            "No," he growled once again.

            "Do as I say!" Shard commanded.

            "Oh, leave him be, Shard," Hazelstar interrupted. "Stubborn, isn't he?"