Chapter 24

Throughout the rest of the week, Hazelstar sat alone in her den, refusing to go outside to speak to any of her clanmates. Something changed in her the day Moonstar came. Something changed when she said she belonged to the Dark Forest.

            She felt she had a new power, a new sense of darkness, growing inside her. And it frightened her. The power of darkness and fear frightened her, so much so she was afraid to go outside and use it. What if she killed the first cat that looked at her.

            Fire many times had come over to tell her to make announcements, but she had only told him what to do and say. She knew she couldn't stay locked up forever though. If she remained weak, cats could disobey her, the prisoners could escape. Maybe she'd step outside today.

            Fire dropped a mouse at her den, like he usually did. Hazelstar quickly snatched it and began to gobble it up. Fire remained near her.

            "Any announcements you need me to make today, Hazelstar?"

            Hazelstar shook her head.

            "Why won't you come outside, Hazelstar? What happened after you attacked Crystal?" he asked.

            "You better not be seeing that she-cat!" she spat.

            "I'm not," Fire replied calmly. "I've obeyed you. We all obey you. What's the matter?"

            "You don't understand. You don't know anything about me," she growled.

            "I only want to help, Hazelstar," Fire offered. "You must keep it together. You must remain strong. Our battle takes place in less than a moon, Hazelstar."

            "It does?"

            "You told me it had to take place shortly after the first leaf fell. Well, the first leaf has fallen. The colors of the leaves are changing. Leaf-fall is upon us."

            "Already?" Hazelstar gasped.

            "Yes, Hazelstar. What is troubling you?"

            "There's darkness inside me, darkness I can't explain. She got into my head, Fire."

            "Who?"

            "Moonstar!" Hazelstar exclaimed. "She's poisoned me with thoughts of evil."

            "Hazelstar, pull it together!" Fire hissed at last. "You are Hazelstar, not Moonstar! You will lead this clan to triumph! You've got all the lives you need! You will rule!"

            I am Hazelstar, not Moonstar. I am Hazelstar, not Moonstar, Hazelstar repeated to herself again and again. Fire's words certaintly weren't motivational, but Hazelstar felt as if she was healing, slowly.

            Hazelstar slowly got to her paws, her legs shaking after days of lying on them. She unsheathed her claws and dug them into the dirt, growling. She belonged to the Dark Forest now, she was doing good for everyone.

            "I am ready to step outside," Hazelstar said at last.

            "Thank the Dark Forest. I thought I would have to take over as leader," Fire joked. Hazelstar did not laugh alongside him.

            As soon as she stepped outside, light blinded her eyes. She blinked, finally becoming accustomed to the light.

            "Good to see you, Hazelstar," cats murmured as they passed by. Had they really all been worrying for her?