Chapter 18

Hazelstar froze, watching as the two cats made their way towards the camp. Were they FoxClan cats? SnowClan cats? She wasn't sure.

            She took a step forward, about to yell out an attack call, when two guards, who were exactly doing their job, shouted, "HALT!"

            Hazelstar watched from afar as the two guards held the cats back. They did not squirm or try to move past. They stood completely still.

            "Get Hazelstar!" one shouted.

            "I'M ALREADY HERE!" Hazelstar shouted, racing through the woods up to the hill that glowed in the moonlight.

            The guards froze, turning to face their leader.

            "We've caught two trespassing cats," one said.

            Hazelstar took a step closer, examining the two. One was a fluffy gray tom with a white stomach and paws. The other was a brown tabby tom with green eyes and a thin pelt. Both looked scared out of their wits.

            "Thank you, guards. Please, let me speak to these toms," she said, taking a step forward.

            "We've heard much about you and MoonClan, Hazelstar," the gray one said, bowing. The brown tabby bowed beside him.

            "And who are you? Where do you come from?"

            "I am Rabbitfur," the gray tom said. "This is my son, Deerheart. We're exiled members of NightClan."

            NightClan, a place Hazelstar had heard about very little. She knew it stood by FoxClan and SnowClan, but other than that, she had not learned too much.

            "It is not everyday I meet NightClan members," she purred. "But tell me, this is an ambush, isn't it?" she said, eyeing the guards.

            "No, Hazelstar, I assure you it isn't," Rabbitfur explained. As she looked closer, she noticed how thin they looked, probably from lack of prey. Their pelts were filthy as well.

            "Mmhmm," she said, eyeing the two. "How long since you've been exiled?"

            "Fifteen sunrises," Deerheart said, looking down at his paws.

            "And where have you been since then?"

            "We tried to head into BirdClan territory, but they drove us out. We headed down by FoxClan, but again, they attacked us for stealing prey. We even went to the twoleg houses before eventually deciding we'd be better off if we joined MoonClan."

            "I run a clan, not a homeless shelter!" she spat.

            "But we aren't asking for food. We want to join!" Deerheart argued.

            "And why is that? How do I know you won't run back to your old clan and fight with them in battle?"

            "Perhaps it's best if I take it from here, son," Rabbitfur told Deerheart.

            "I grew up in NightClan," Rabbitfur explained.

            "Oh, no, not an autobiography," Hazelstar rolled her eyes.

            "Please, let me continue. It's the only way," Rabbitfur argued.

            "Very well. But we should at least get comfortable. My guards will escort you down to my den," she said.