Chapter 3

It had been six sunrises, and Hazelnose knew that she and Fire would arrive at the old MoonClan camp in a sunrise or so. He had turned out to be loyal, a perfect deputy, and Hazelnose was glad she was getting to know the tom better. He had only been a kit during the first battle.

            Hazelnose awoke now, watching the sun peak above the hills. Today would be their seventh day out in the journey, and she knew she had to find MoonClan today. She stood up, sniffing the air. The fresh air smelled familiar, and she knew she was close.

            Hazelnose watched as Fire's eyes opened. "What is it?" he murmured.

            "We're almost there," Hazelnose told him.

            Fire groaned. "My legs are sore from all this walking. Can't we wait until the sun is fully risen?" he complained.

            "Of course not!" Hazelnose spat. "Moonstar has entrusted me with this mission, and I will not fail her!"

            Fire grumbled, getting up. She watched as he stretched, and she realized how sleep-deprived he was. He obviously wasn't used to all this walking before.

            "What have you been doing all these moons?" she asked him.

            Fire shrugged. "I move from place to place. Fang and I did join a clan once, but we left a moon later. It wasn't right for us. I've been on my own now. I left Ice when I was twelve moons."

            "Well, your battle skills don't seem to be failing," Hazelnose said, seeing the pale scars on his legs.

            "Cats come around, sometimes foxes and badgers. Thank StarClan for MoonClan. I've won every fight I've been in," he told her. There was a pause, and then he eyed Hazelnose. "Where have you been all this time?"

            "That is none of your concern!" Hazelnose spat.

            "But it is. You asked me, now I ask you," Fire told her.

            "Respect your leader!" Hazelnose spat. "Have you not forgotten the lesson Moonstar taught you only a few sunrises ago? Now, do not ask again. You are inferior to me, Fire. Don't think otherwise."

            Fire growled. "All right. Fine. I won't ask again. Can we at least catch some prey before continuing?" he asked.

            "Very well," Hazelnose said. Together, they padded into dark woods. Only a faint strip of sunlight shined through, leaving them to walk through the darkened forest. The trees rustled in the green-leaf wind, and Hazelnose turned, sniffing a scent.

            Before she could react, Fire leapt into the bushes, coming back with a plump rabbit. "Breakfast is served," he told her.

            "My, you have keen instincts," Hazelnose told him, sitting down to eat the rabbit.

            "Mother always said it was a gift," he told her, biting into the rabbit. With his mouth full, he spoke, "This rabbit is delicious!"

            Hazelnose couldn't help but laugh a little. "You still act like a kit at times," she told him.

            "I am a warrior, not a kit," he said, swallowing his bite of rabbit. "My brother-he's a kit. My sister walks either in the Dark Forest or StarClan. But I, the only surviving kin, am not a kit."

            "Very well. You are not a kit," Hazelnose told him.

            The rabbit was gone after a few moments, and Hazelnose stood up, ready to walk again. She knew all they had to do now was get over the hill, and on top would be the old MoonClan camp.