Chapter 17

A few days had passed since Hazelstar had sent the rogues out to find her brother and that awful she-cat. She had heard no word since, and she'd been becoming nervous. What if they weren't found? Would Moonstar punish her?

            The day was clouded over as she padded outside. A cold breeze swept across the camp, making Hazelstar shiver in her thin pelt. Leaf-fall had nearly arrived, and already they'd fallen behind in their plans.

            "We must step up apprentices and training," she murmured, heading over to the fresh-kill pile. She watched as Crow, about three moons now, wrestled with his mother, Raven. She eyed the tom, watching his skills. He was quick, clever- a good MoonClan warrior.

            "Raven! Crow!" Hazelstar snapped.

            Immediately, the two froze, as if they thought they were in trouble. She didn't blame them for believing that though. Most of the time she only called cats who were in trouble over.

            Raven cautiously made her way towards Hazelstar with Crow trailing behind his mother. The she-cat stood in front of Hazelstar, letting out a sigh.

            "Sorry, I know we should be working," she whimpered.

            Hazelstar towered over the small black she-cat, and she eyed her. "That is not why I called you over. I called you over because I wish to make Crow an apprentice of MoonClan."

            Raven's eyes widened. "An apprentice?! But, Hazelstar, he's barely three months old!"

            "I want to be an apprentice!" Crow argued.

            Hazelstar swore those were the first words she had ever heard the tom speak.

            "Are you sure about this, Hazelstar?" Raven asked.

            "Positive," Hazelstar grinned. "The tom must learn to fight if he wishes to survive battle, right?"

            "I suppose so," Raven sighed, looking down at her paws.

            "Come here," Hazelstar told Crow. "It's time to make you an honorary apprentice of MoonClan."

            "I can't wait!" Crow exclaimed, bouncing up and down.

            Hazelstar made her way to the front of the camp, leaping up onto the large rock that stood in the center. Crow followed behind, smiling at the confused MoonClan cats.

            "CATS OF MOONCLAN!" Hazelstar shouted. "I SEEK ALL OF YOUR ATTENTION!"

            The cats in camp turned, their eyes focused on their leader.

            "Crow has been with us since the beginning, and now that he has reached three moons, I believe it is time to make him an apprentice!" she shouted.

            Cats cheered wildly while Raven and Cliff stood together, a nervous expression on their faces.

            "Crow, do you wish to keep your old name or choose a clan name?"

            Crow looked up at Hazelstar, his green eyes focused on hers. "I would like to keep my name, Hazelstar."

            "Then from this day forward, until you are crowned a warrior, you shall be known as Crow!" she shouted.

            "CROW! CROW!" the clan cried.

            Hazelstar watched as the captives peeked their heads out of the den to see what was going on.